Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

services.exe and ccsvchst.exe make CPU go 100

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 07:42 AM #1
Unhappy services.exe and ccsvchst.exe make CPU go 100
Hello,

Since +/- 2 weeks I can barely open any application on my computer because the CPU is all the time at 100. I removed some programs, I cleanes the startup I ran Norton registry repair and it seemed to get better. But this morning starting up it is since 10 minutes trying to close the security history window from Norton (which told my back up was at risk, not my main concern for the moment) I am running Windows XP service pack 3 and this is my family computer, so it has taken a bit of a beating... Any suggestions? I susepect it has something to do with Itunes crashing, but as I am not even able to start a browser, it is very hard to run any analyzing hardware. O and the active desktop is broken too.
Account Disabled with 359 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 11:26 AM #2
1.Have you ever cleaned the inside of the machine with a can of compressed air? no air compresser or vaccum!!!!!! Dust can surely slow a machine to a crawl.

2.Check the amount of free space that your harddrive has windows needs at least 15% free space to function correctly.

3. 3.Run a check disk....hit the windows key and r at the same time then type cmd then type chkdsk /r into the command prompt window then hit enter you will be asked to schedule on next reboot,hit y then hit enter then reboot your machine.
4. Norton is known to be a resource hog and cause a plethora of issues, I suggest switching to Avast or Avira or Mirosoft Security Essentials
5.Scan your machine for malware try an online scanner or your current AV

1. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
2. Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group
3. Right click on Primary IDE and hit Uninstall,if there is more than one uninstall all and reboot after all are uninstalled
4. Reboot the computer, the Primary IDE drivers will re-install themselves after you reboot.
5. Go back to the Device Manager and Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group again.
6. Right click on Primary IDE Channel and go to Properties > Advanced Settings tab.
7. Make sure that both Device's Modes are on "DMA if available".
8. Link Explaining http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../gg463526.aspx
Member with 3 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 11:43 AM #3
Wow, that is very helpful. I will need a bit of time trying all this. Thanks.
Account Disabled with 359 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 12:17 PM #4
Let us know how it goes.
Member with 3 posts.

02-Jul-2012, 11:16 AM #5
So, I opened up the computer and it was dusty, but after cleaning there was no improvement.

I looked at the hard disk. 133 Gb used, 92.9 Gb free, that is not enormous, but it should be enough, for sure with in the 15% you gave.

When I restart my machine I get the rundll32.exe that does not respond and needs to be terminated manually as well as the energy gauge (sorry my machine is in French and I do not remember the term in English).

I have run the check disk and it did not change anything.

I have had Norton on this computer for a few years without any problems and I have a lot of subscription left, so lets not go there for the moment.

Until yesterday when I was still able to open Norton all the protections and scans were ok, threats had been dealt with. Now I cannot even open Norton the request just times out... The CPU usage for the services has gone down from 80% (+/-) to in the 60ies but the processes inactif has gone up to 30/40 so the result is still 100.

I tried opening the Device Manager, but after letting it open for the entire night and it was still not filled with a list of the devices, I think I have to abandon that idea.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,233 posts.

02-Jul-2012, 01:23 PM #6
I would suggest that you setup a clean boot to find the culprit. Disconnect yourself from the Internet. Hit "Windows key + R" Type msconfig Click the services tab. Check the box "Hide all Microsoft services" now click "Disable All" Now go to the "Startup" tab and "Disable All" Apply and restart the computer. Now Enable the services one at a time and restart the system to see its affect on the system. Doing so you should be able to narrow down the problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!