Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

user name and password?

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 04:33 PM #1
user name and password?
I just brought 2 used DELL POS systems for my restaurant, everything turned on fine, i checked the internet and the touchscreen functions worked fine. I installed the treatware software (support system) when finishing up the install it asked me to restart to complete installation. when resarted it prompted me with a windows username and password. I dont understand why it asked me now as i was able to use the pc before installing treatware. i contacted treatware and they have no idea, i contacted dell and they say i may need to reinstall windows xp professional and its drivers (headache). Can anyone help me so i dont have to do this?
Trusted Advisor with 19,683 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 04:49 PM #2
I see you skipped over the Forum rules on your way in.
http://www.techguy.org/rules.html
Quote:
Passwords - Please do not ask for assistance with (or ways to bypass) a forgotten or unknown password, personal identification number (PIN) or any other type of access code that may be required on a computer, mobile device or web site. As there is no way to verify the actual situation or intent, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed.
Member with 5 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 05:24 PM #3
sorry about that, why would the windows username and password pop up after i installed the software, i could do other stuff before without any notification of logging in?
Member with 11,761 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 05:39 PM #4
I understand it is annoying but are hands are tied here.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,384 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2012, 07:28 PM #5
The software may have added a new user account and that then requires you to select an account and login.

How many accounts are listed in the Control Panel, user accounts?
Member with 5 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 10:47 AM #6
the only thing i have on the screen is the user name and password box, how do i get the control panel up to take a look?
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2012, 11:15 AM #7
You must type in a user name and a password if one is being used.
In your case, type the old user name that the system was using before the install, and then try just the enter key as a password.

Once you get logged in, then you can go to Control Panel, User Accounts and there you will see what accounts have been set up.
Member with 5 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 02:58 PM #8
thats the problem, there was no username until i installed the software
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2012, 05:31 PM #9
Yes there was, as since Window 98 a User name was required.

Some OEMs used owner as the default User name.
Member with 5 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 06:42 PM #10
whats puzzeling me is that i turned the pc on, browsed the internet without entering any usernames or passwords? only after i installed the software was windows asking me for a username and password
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,226 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 06:50 PM #11
It is possible to set Windows to automatically login to a specific user account (but only if the account is password protected). Perhaps the "treatware software" (about which I know nothing) unset that option. After all, it is a dangerous option to use if non-authorized users have physical access to the machine.

09-Jul-2012, 09:16 AM #12
If a system has only one account and is not passworded the system will default that account and startup Windows.

Then when a second account is added, one needs to type in the users name in you case, or if the Welcome screen is set to be used, then on must select the account that one wants to use.

If you were to try and start it up in the "Safe mode" and use the enter key as the password, you MAY be able to see what accounts are there. If so, then you may be able to turn on the Welcome screen.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!