Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP Professional Not Functioning - No Windows or Internet

(!)

Caveman01 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2012, 09:13 PM #1
Angry XP Professional Not Functioning - No Windows or Internet
A friend of my sister has XP Professional and she can't do anything on the computer at all. She can't get to Windows or on the internet. She can't even get into safetly mode. My sister said it looks like the computer will work after rebooting but then the same screen comes up saying the same thing. That is the photo included. She took a pic of the screen so I could see what it says. I do not know what the problem is so I am placing the question on here.
Attached Thumbnails
XP Professional Not Functioning - No Windows or Internet-img_20120704_151456.jpg  
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,225 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 10:04 PM #2
Have they tried Last Know Good Configuration? Do they have the Windows XP CD? If they can't access Windows at all Try a Repair Install Of XP. "The XP CD is required for this" No data will be lost in this process. But try the Last Know Good Configuration fist.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,935 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jul-2012, 12:32 AM #3
Does she have any of the following?

- Recovery CD/DVD

- Windows XP CD/DVD

- Recovery Partition

Given the monitor and operating system, I'm guessing the hardware we're working with here is relatively old.

That means that if she will probably have one of the first two items I listed, if any.

If she's not able to find them, she can try contacting the manufacturer to see if they can ship a Recovery Disk to your home. Though again, due to the age, the CD/DVD may no longer be in production.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 07:28 PM #4
I found out that she can't even get to Start or do anything on the computer. That same screen just keeps coming back if she shuts off the computer to reboot. So, she can't click on anything to use something like Last Know Good Configuration. Does this mean the hard drive is done or is this another problem like the drivers ? Obviously, someone who knows about computers will have to do something for her. I can't.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,225 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 08:53 PM #5
In my post #2 I said to use Last Know Good Configuration. "There is no mouse action" You need to use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to move to Last Know Good Configuration and hit enter.

Again, Do She Have The XP CD?
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 10:06 PM #6
She may not have the CD. I am asking someone else I know if they have it. I don't know is Last Know Good Configuration will function since she went to safe mode and it did not work. Other functions did not connect either. I will find out on the weekend if anything changes. A guy I know who works on computers is going to her house Saturday. I have not seen her computer but I'm guessing that a reinstallation will be needed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
can't connect internet, no windows, xp not functioning, xp pro

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!