Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP HOME EDITION system 32 corrupt

(!)

Member with 27 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 10:58 AM #1
Question Windows XP HOME EDITION system 32 corrupt
I have a Dell inspirion 6000 laptop that crashed. When I tried to reboot I got the windows could not start due to corrupt system 32 error. I tried several fixes in this forum but the problem is if I try to repair bypassing the repair console people say that after license agreement it should give an r prompt at the bottom. It doesn't. Also when I use the instructions to do a system restore it says it doesn't recognize the command on the line after the cd snapshot. I don't know how to copy files because it never says in the forum how to do that or where to find them( it might but I just can't find them.) There is just one file I need to save. I did a chdsk/r and it said it didn't find anything. ( i'm going from memory) It won't let me do the one with /p. When I try to boot after the chkdsk still the same error. I see all these instrustions about going into safe mode and running programs. How can I if I can't even get into windows? And how can I save the file I need If I can't get into windows? I'm not so sure I could even do a complete reinstall?. I have the original Windows xp home edition that came with laptop.

Thank you in advance for suggestions.

p.s. I tried to do the fix on microsoft and several other links that were provided from people in the forum. They all require the system restore which I can't do or the repair after the licence agreement which I can't do.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,221 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 12:05 PM #2
That disk you have is most likely a restore disk. If you need to access the system to backup data I suggest that you use Ubuntu Live to access Windows and do the backup. Then use the DELL recovery disk to bring it back to factory default.
Member with 27 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 12:43 PM #3
Is it a recovery disk if I used it to do a clean install of windows before?
JennyJackson01   (Jenny) JennyJackson01 is offline JennyJackson01 has a Profile Picture
Member with 636 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 02:12 PM #4
It could very well be a recovery disk as they perform a clean install on that particular machine and overwrite any personal data on it taking you back to factory default as Lance suggested.

Jenny
Member with 27 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 10:49 PM #5
Lance1
I tried to do what you said about ubuntu live and imgburn will not copy it. I keep getting errors went thru 8 discs. Any other suggestions to get my files off?
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,221 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 08:06 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit75 View Post
Lance1
I tried to do what you said about ubuntu live and imgburn will not copy it. I keep getting errors went thru 8 discs. Any other suggestions to get my files off?
Errors? What errors are you getting?
Member with 27 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 11:48 PM #7
I got totally frustrated and just reinstalled windows. thank you .everyone. is always so helpful
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!