Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP Wireless Connection

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 128 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jul-2012, 06:47 PM #1
Windows XP Wireless Connection
I want to receive a wireless network in my computer with Windows XP. It doesn't have a built in receiver so I installed a receiver in a USB port called Ultra Wireless-N along with the supplied software. It doesn't set up the network however and when I ran a network test it says invalid adapter. This was used on another computer to set up a wireless connection with XP and worked fine. I don't know what the problem is. Can anyone help? Should I install a wireless network card?
JennyJackson01   (Jenny) JennyJackson01 is offline JennyJackson01 has a Profile Picture
Member with 636 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 06:37 AM #2
You obviously need to install some sort of wireless network device to connect to a wireless network whether it`s a PCI card with an aerial or a USB dongle but it sounds like you`ve already gone for the dongle option.

Try removing and then uninstalling the dongle and try again perhaps in a different USB port. I`ve had a few problems with those little beggars in the past but persistance usually pays off in the end especially if you know they work okay in another machine.

Jenny
Computer Specs
Member with 128 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2012, 12:48 PM #3
I uninstalled then reinstalled the dongle and came up with the same result and even tried in my other computer with the same result (invalid adapter). They are both Dell computers with XP. Could a missing Windows update affect the ability of this dongle to work properly?

In the meantime I ordered a D-Link PCI adapter. I hope it works!
JennyJackson01   (Jenny) JennyJackson01 is offline JennyJackson01 has a Profile Picture
Member with 636 posts.

18-Jul-2012, 12:22 PM #4
The dongle should work fine regardless of any missed updates as the software is in-built although I`ve been wrong in the past so I`m prepared to be put right if someone knows different.

I`m surpised the dongle didn`t do the trick but I`ve got my fingers crossed for the PCI adapter ...

Jenny
Member with 979 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2012, 10:24 AM #5
Is it possible that the computer where your USB device doesn't work isn't updated to SP3? More and more software these days requires SP3.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

19-Jul-2012, 12:28 PM #6
Is this some kind of cheap, no-name adapter? If so, it may be defective. Where, specifically, are you seeing an error message that says "invalid adapter"? You don't need to install any software for it other than drivers. If it's a no-name device, the software might be garbage. Uninstall it, and use Windows XP's built-in wireless functionality instead.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!