Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP Hangs when accessing any network/internet resource

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 08:21 AM #1
XP Hangs when accessing any network/internet resource
I have this problem with a couple computers at work. Here is the issue:

Computer will not display network icon in the system tray. When trying to access anything internet related, nothing works. IE Page not found errors, etc. When I go to Control Panel > Network Connections, my computer will hang and I have to close control panel from task manager to continue. My computer will also freeze/hang when I try to use some other applications that require an internet connection.

Restarting usually doesn't help. The only way I've been able to fix it is by turning it off for some time, and turning it back on later. But even this doesn't work 50% of the time. Restarting over and over again does nothing; the computer still acts the same, no network icon / freezing when accessing network resources. Once it does decide to work however, the computer has internet/network connectivity, and no problems until it is shut off again.

I've tried all the drivers out there for my network adapter, and reformatted 3 times so it's not a virus/spyware. The current computer I'm having an issue with is a day old with no applications other than Windows Update, Microsoft Office, Java, Flash, and Adobe reader installed. They are all Dell computers, some are Vostro desktops, while some are older Inspiron's. All computers with issues are running Windows XP SP3.

Any help would be appreciated!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,309 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 12:24 PM #2
Welcome to Tech Support Guy
Is this a wireless connection, or hard wired ethernet

Quote:
The current computer I'm having an issue with is a day old
I presume you mean the installation is a day old - as you continue to say they are running XP.
Please confirm.

How is the connection made please to a modem router etc and who is the service provider

As you have the problem on more than one computer, we may suspect the modem/router

Are the computers networked
Member with 3 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 12:27 PM #3
Yes, that particular computer had an installation that was a day old. Today actually, one of the laptops that has problems was taken home by an employee. He reported having the same exact issues at home; so I doubt the problem is with the modem/router.
Member with 1,675 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jul-2012, 08:50 PM #4
get the latest driver updates for the model pc's from dell.
also check performance in task manager for cpu % and memory usage.
ctrl+alt+del to access task manager.
Member with 3 posts.

16-Jul-2012, 09:56 AM #5
I have the latest drivers from Dell. My performance is fine in task manager on the 2 computers I tested.
Member with 2 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 03:59 PM #6
I had exactly the same problem. One PC simply booted without the network icons (but in fact it was connected as confirmed by launching browser etc).

Then, attempting to access to the Network Connections from Start/Settings, the machine crashed. This exact same process occurred several times on re-boot. Another machine on the same network worked as expected.

Have all latest fixes, patches, drivers etc etc ... keep very "tidy" pc's as any good OCD would :-)

There was some information that a spam filter used with MS Outlook was "acting up", so it was un-installed. Its not clear if that helped.

Eventually after some number of reboots, it just started working again ... but the virtual mem usage was up by about 20-30 meg (e.g. as if something was installed or altered).

Reinstalled the spam filter and everything seems OK.

The only (obvious) thing was the update to Avast AntiVir, which now has a "sandbox" facility that is quite annoying, and potentially has a pathological interaction with other "spam/AV-like" apps (and may also explain the sudden increase in virtual mem usage). Turned that off (perhaps that solved it, who knows).

Have run AntiVIrs, just in case ... nothing showing.

Its just too weird ... any thoughts would be appreciated.
Member with 2 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 10:22 AM #7
oops, forgot to mention, when it was "acting up": on shut down, the machine would complain of certain elements/apps and which required manual shut down, and even then, the machine would not shut down/power down on its own as per usual but required a "hard boot".
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!