Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I need to know if I can install Microsoft Office XP Professional on another computer.

(!)

Member with 137 posts.

Experience: kinda intermediate beginner
21-Jul-2012, 06:41 PM #1
I need to know if I can install Microsoft Office XP Professional on another computer.
I have two computers: one an old clunker I keep around because it has a lot of my music on it, a few photographs and Office XP 2002. The other computer is NOT so old but it is refurbished. The old clunker came from Dell preloaded with MS Office Pro and Windows XP 2002 HOME upgraded to SP-4 (?) I think (I also have the original program CD's to ALL software installed on it. The newer one came preloaded with Windows XP 2002 upgraded to SP-3 but running open office.

I HATE OPEN OFFICE!!!

This brings me to my question: can I install the version of Office onto the newer one, and if so, can I also install Publisher? I do not use the older computer unless I really have to, i.e. Publisher and certain Word and Excel files. I will not uninstall Office from the older clunker because I have this stupid open office crap on the newer one. I know I have at least 1 license for the older one and I can not afford to buy another, so a YES in this department will help me a lot.
The newer computer system I got for free from a program that the college I attend was included in. The older clunker I got from an employee purchase program from where I used to work. A new semester is going to start up next month and I don't want to fight my computer when I have assignments due, and I don't want to be frustrated by using the computers on campus (they use the newest Office products: I don't like it!) I just want to get my work done so I can get my degree. I know where EVERYTHING is and how it operates in the Windows/Office 2002, SP3 or 4 (I cant remember).

Color me tired, frustrated, and needing some answers... also cuzinaddie
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jul-2012, 10:33 AM #2
Pre-installed software cannot legally be installed on another computer - it is "married" to that specific computer until it's scrapped.

Even if you buy a retail copy of Office, you can only install it on one PC at any one time, unless you purchase a multi-user licence from Microsoft.
AtlBo has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 559 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jul-2012, 03:21 PM #3
addie have you tried LibreOffice?

This is a VERY SERIOUS project now being supported by Intel that started as an offshoot of OpenOffice in 2010. They're making amazing progress with the program with over 400 programmers working around the clock. The OpenOffice project hit a lull about 2-3 years ago, and LO caught fire with a much more aggressive philosophy for change and improvement and with a very clear vision for the program.

I have followed the project closely on the developers' chat channel, and I've been in contact with some of the project leaders and swapped some ideas. It might be worth looking into for you, although I admit as it is, some of the features and the set up may remind you of Open Office. It's difficult to learn a new office system, too, so if MS Office Pro is unequivocally the best for you, just ignore this, but perhaps you could at least get rid of Open Office on your newer machine and replace it with LibreOffice.

Maybe it would help to think of it this way. LibreOffice is Open Office with the fixes and improvements of 400 programmers working for the past going on 3 years. It's much, much better...

Last edited by AtlBo; 22-Jul-2012 at 06:27 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!