Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Very slow computer performance - Desperate for assistance!!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Aug-2012, 06:13 PM #1
Very slow computer performance - Desperate for assistance!!!
Hi there,

I've been experiencing some unbrearably slow computer (pc) performance over the last while. I am not too sure what is hindering the speed but am almost certain that the processing is being influenced somehow. Even basic tasks, such as accessing right-clicking menus, or waiting for the Internet homepage to display, take a good deal of time to accomplish. There are times when the pc runs like it should, but these periods are often interspersed by snail-paced speeds.

Thinking that this would be the solution, I've freed up much space on the C Drive by deleting videos, photos, etc. The C Drive has more than half of its space free. I've also removed any unnecessary programs installed. I've considered simply re-installing Windows XP, but I am treating this as a last resort.

It is probably worth noting that I do very occasionally receive this error message:

"Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help."

I am not certain if this error message has any connection to the performance of the pc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Trav.~
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 07:03 PM #2
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Aug-2012, 07:26 PM #3
There is a Microsoft Support page related to the error message you have at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826513. On the page there is a way to have Microsoft Fit It solve the problem for you, as well as instructions to fix the problem yourself.
I do not know if this is related to the slow PC but I would check it out anyway and at the least fix one problem.

If I experience my PC slowing down, the first thing I do is defrag the hard drive. This usually helps.
To defragment your hard drive in Windows XP:

1: open My Computer
2: right click on the C: drive
3: select Properties
4: click Tools tab
5: select Defragment Now

** do not use any files during the defragmentation to ensure all files can be defragmented.

if you haven't done this before or are new to PC care, i recommend reading this article: http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/window...ons/defrag.htm.
it walks you through the process with graphics as well as explains why it needs to be done.
Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 07:57 PM #4
Hi guys,

Many thanks for your responses! I will try these suggested ideas postehaste! If, for whatever reason, my computer still runs slow, will you guys still see my future postings in this thread?

Thanks,

~Trav.~
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 08:13 PM #5
Yupp, I'm subscribed to the thread so if you're still having problems just leave another reply. I'm not a professional but I'll do what I can.
Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 12:45 AM #6
Thank you, CoffeeFanatic (or Dylan?)! I've just completed your first suggestion concerning the "Microsoft Fix It", once it asked me to "restart" for the changes to take place. However, I still find that the computer runs slow, unfortunately. Should I try to do this manually? If so, what would you recommend in specifying for the initial and maximum values in "Virtual Memory"? The default value for the "Initial size" is 768 MB, while the "Maximum size" is set to 1536 MB. So, the "Paging File Size" range is 756-1536 MB. If it helps, my C drive's total capacity if 149 GB, and the amount of free space that I have is 98.72 GB (66%). File system name is "NTFS".

I'm now in the process of doing a disk defragmentation (your second suggestion), but it is still doing so. For how long does this process normally endure?

Thanks again for your assistance! Much appreciated!

~Trav.~
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 01:10 AM #7
After restarting, do you still get the error message? If not, then its not necessary to change the values manually as Microsoft Fix It was successful.

As for the disk defragmentation, it can take a while. Much longer than you would expect. It really depends on how fragmented the hard drive is. If there are a lot of files to put back in place, you'll be waiting a while. The first time I did this I had to let it run overnight. If its done regularly it won't take too long. I recommend defragging regularly or, better yet, set a schedule to have it done automatically.
Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 01:48 AM #8
Hi CoffeeFanatic,

I haven't noticed the Virtual Memory error message after restarting, but usually this message can take some time to appear (sometimes I do not see it appear for weeks), so I can't be certain if Microsoft Fix It was successful in taking care of the issue. Perhaps it did? Also, just to note, the values I specified in my previous posting for the Initial and Maximum sizes in "Virtual Memory" are the same before I used Microsoft Fix It and after it was finished (once I restarted the computer). Is this normal?

Also, the disk defragmentation was recently completed. Just in case, here is the report:

Volume (C:
Volume size = 149 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 50.32 GB
Free space = 98.72 GB
Percent free space = 66 %
Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 1 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation
Total files = 230,199
Average file size = 2 MB
Total fragmented files = 0
Total excess fragments = 373
Average fragments per file = 1.00
Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 768 MB
Total fragments = 9
Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 20,716
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0
Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 333 MB
MFT record count = 253,417
Percent MFT in use = 74 %
Total MFT fragments = 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None

You're certainly right in this being a long process!

~Trav.~
Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 12:35 PM #9
Hi CoffeeFanatic,

In addition to the above posting, I have been testing to see if there were any changes in the overall speed of the computer. Following the disk defragmentation, I noticed the speed of the computer had increased - however, I am not positive if this simply coincided with a period of "good/regular" performance. Being skeptical, I shut down the computer and rebooted it, but the loading time is about the same to (as described in my opening post in this thread) the desktop. Once clicking on the Internet Explorer, it still took a while for the home page to load and appear.

Apologies for the double posting!

~Trav.~
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,248 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Aug-2012, 12:54 PM #10
Let's see what's loading and running on that computer:

1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

2- Run the program.

3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.

4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply. Do not attach it.

6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.

Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

Why don't you just Google it?
If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.
Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 01:50 PM #11
Hi Phantom010,

Thank you so much for your contribution to this thread!

I will do as you had advised, but, like CoffeeFanatic, are you also subscribed to this thread? If so, you will be notified of my reply? The more people contributing, the better!

Many thanks again, Phantom010!

~Trav.~
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2012, 01:52 PM #12
Yes, when posting a response to a thread, you are automatically subscribed to it.
Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 02:47 PM #13
Hi Phantom010,

Here is the report:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 2:43:49 PM, on 08/08/2012
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\update\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\Solution Menu EX\CNSEMAIN.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\B2C_Client\B2CNotiAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\RemoteControl\RCMan.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG111v2 Configuration Utility\RtlWake.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IProsetMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Tristan\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4S10Y9AX\HijackThis[1].exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Real\RealPlayer\BrowserRecordPlugin\IE\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Canon Easy-WebPrint EX BHO - {3785D0AD-BFFF-47F6-BF5B-A587C162FED9} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX\ewpexbho.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Canon Easy-WebPrint EX - {759D9886-0C6F-4498-BAB6-4A5F47C6C72F} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX\ewpexhlp.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\update\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonSolutionMenuEx] C:\Program Files\Canon\Solution Menu EX\CNSEMAIN.EXE /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [B2C_AGENT] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\B2C_Client\B2CNotiAgent.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RemoteCenter] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\RemoteControl\RCMan.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Tristan\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Stardock ObjectDock.lnk = C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WG111v2 Smart Wizard Wireless Setting.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xportar a Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_70C5B381380DB17F.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: Referencia - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {CF84DAC5-A4F5-419E-A0BA-C01FFD71112F} (SysInfo Class) - http://content.systemrequirementslab...l_4.4.24.0.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: ESET HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ESET Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.9.911.3589 (GoogleDesktopManager-110309-193829) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Inkjet Printer/Scanner/Fax Extended Survey Program (IJPLMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet Monitoring Service - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IProsetMonitor.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage Back-End Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SsBeSvc.exe
--
End of file - 7542 bytes

~Trav.~
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2012, 02:58 PM #14
Click Start > Run > type msconfig

Press Enter.

Select the Startup tab.

Although I do not believe you have that many programs auto loading, you still can uncheck everything but egui (NOD32).

After restarting your computer, when the small "System Configuration Utility" window appears, ignore the message. Put a check mark in that window, then click OK.
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2012, 03:04 PM #15
And,

Download, install and run the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Click Update > Check for Updates.

When the definition files have updated, click OK.

Click the Scanner tab > Perform quick scan > Scan.

If infections are found during the scan, the number of infections will be highlighted in red.

When the scan is finished, click Show Results.

Make sure that everything is selected, then click Remove Selected.

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click Yes.

Start Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again.

Click the Logs tab.

Highlight the scan log entry, then click Open.

When the scan log appears in Notepad, copy and paste it into your next reply.

===================================================================
Download, install and run the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware.

Click Check for Updates.

When the definition files have updated, click Close.

Select Perform Quick Scan and click Scan your Computer.

If infections or problems are found during the scan, a list will appear.

When the scan is finished and the scan summary window appears, click OK.

Make sure that everything in the list is selected, then click Next.

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click Yes.

Start SUPERAntiSpyware again.

Click View Scan Logs.

Highlight the scan log entry, then click View Selected Log.

When the scan log appears in Notepad, copy and paste it into your next reply.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!