Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Deleting Windows.Old On XP

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2012, 03:47 PM #1
Unhappy Deleting Windows.Old On XP
Hi All , i've come here because I really need help

I Have very little space on my C: Drive because of another windows instillation.
The problem with this is , I had XP on this pc first , then my brother in law took it on holiday but he installed vista on it while he was there , so when he got back I reinstalled XP pro from the recovery disk but because windows vista was installed windows did not delete vista and did not set vista as the older version...
So im able to boot from windows XP and vista is not avilable as a boot option.
In my computer the C: Drive renamed XP to WINDOWS.0 and vista as something else :/ i've tried renaming vista to windows.old and other names but I dont have permission to delete it.
Im using the Administrator account , Im the file's owner , i have full permission , i've even tried using cmd but nothing works.
Please help because the laptop isnt very useful when its full (243 mb's left) Its not the main laptop but i't would be great if you guys could help.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,936 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Aug-2012, 04:20 PM #2
If you have a Windows XP Pro disc, you need to boot from it, then delete all current partitions, then create a single C partition, then format that single C partition in the NTFS file system, then install Windows XP in C:\WINDOWS.

Doing that will wipe out ALL traces of Windows Vista and reclaim a LOT of free space.

Here is a good pictorial guide to get familiar with and use.

------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 04:31 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
If you have a Windows XP Pro disc, you need to boot from it, then delete all current partitions, then create a single C partition, then format that single C partition in the NTFS file system, then install Windows XP in C:\WINDOWS.

Doing that will wipe out ALL traces of Windows Vista and reclaim a LOT of free space.

Here is a good pictorial guide to get familiar with and use.

------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks very much but before I do all of this Im going to backup my video drivers because it took a while to get them to work last time I will post my results tomorrow
Thanks

-Lightzaver
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
08-Aug-2012, 05:01 PM #4
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2012, 05:17 PM #5
You need to obtain and save and back up the drivers for ALL of the devices in that computer, and not just the graphics driver.

Once you do a "clean" reinstall of Windows XP, you can then install whatever drivers are needed.

----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 08:13 AM #6
If I boot from windows xp will it allow me to delete all the partitions or do I have to do this as its installing ?
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2012, 07:47 PM #7
If you click the link that I provided in post #2 and then look at images 1.4 through 1.10, it shows you how to do it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!