Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP Sp3 Sloooooow Shutdown

(!)

Member with 159 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Aug-2012, 04:43 PM #1
Windows XP Sp3 Sloooooow Shutdown
I had this problem a year of so ago, so I went back and re-read that thread(s) to try again. Alas, I did the suggested fixes but I still get a maddeningly slow shutdown. I can click "Shutdown" from the 'Start' menu and the computer does nothing.

I can hit Ctrl > Alt > Del (the 3 finger salute ) and use the 'shutdown' option and 'turn off" from 'Task Manager' to get the machine to shut down, albeit very slowly. But this has worked so far to shut down quicker than before just hitting shutdown from the 'Start" button. .

Hitting 'Start' > 'Turn Off Computer' is either horridly slow or doesn't work, so I use the method I show above (using the Task Manager options). If I happen to run something that requires a restart to take effect, the computer goes to the 'Windows Is Shutting Down' screen immediately but then hangs. So I manually hit the power button and restart manually.

If I want to turn the machine off because I'm finished, I use Task Manager and just leave it alone and it will turn off. Just takes a while. Here is the TSG Sysinfo file requested that I supply. I also got the current "Hi-Jack This" version and ran and saved a log file if needed. NOTE: In info below 'C' is main HDD, 'F' is an extra HDD I have installed and 'G' is an external HDD I use for storage, backups, etc.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1533 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 53074 MB, Free - 24402 MB; F: Total - 38122 MB, Free - 37813 MB; G: Total - 200294 MB, Free - 105320 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0F4491
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

As always, thank you for your time and help.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,224 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 09:33 PM #2
There is something running in the background that is prohibiting windows from shutting down. Have you tried to Configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,625 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Aug-2012, 09:42 PM #3
Click Start.

In the search bar, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter. Click the "Startup" tab.

Write down only the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.
Member with 159 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 11:52 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance1 View Post
There is something running in the background that is prohibiting windows from shutting down. Have you tried to Configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
No, haven't tried that and that is because I am not sure how I would do that! I played around in MSCONFIG to shut down some programs and I have yet to try in SAFE MODE but that was gonna be my project today. Thanks for the idea, I just need to know how to do the idea.
Member with 159 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 12:18 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter93 View Post
Click Start.

In the search bar, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter. Click the "Startup" tab.

Write down only the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.
What I did was capture the screen in two versions. One is the program names in the 'Startup' from MSCONFIG and the second one is the same screen with the middle column expanded. I figured it would be easier to read than my hand copying.

Hope this works and thanks for the help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!