Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't get Outlook express 6 to work

(!)

Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner/Intermediate
16-Aug-2012, 08:14 PM #1
Can't get Outlook express 6 to work
I have windows XP professional SP3 and

Outlook express 6 isn't working correctly. Not only does it keep receiving the same email (a single message) from the 12th when I open it. But, it never finishes receiving period- the "receiving mail" message in the bottom right never goes away. I can not use the program while this is going on. Do you know how I can fix it? Here's what event viewer says when I try to (have to, because it doesn't work) close the program.

Hanging application msimn.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,326 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Aug-2012, 10:15 PM #2
You didn't say if you're using a 56K dial-up connection or a high-speed connection.

Contact your Internet Service Provider(ISP) tech support number and have someone there try to assist you with resolving the issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Member with 7 posts.

16-Aug-2012, 11:34 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
You didn't say if you're using a 56K dial-up connection or a high-speed connection.

Contact your Internet Service Provider(ISP) tech support number and have someone there try to assist you with resolving the issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------
High Speed connection- Charter Pipeline, but how do you know the problem is with my ISP? Why not something with outlook express? No one else in my house is having a problem with their outlook express.

I remember once I had microsoft help me install some updates that weren't installing correctly, about a year ago I'd say. It was free, but now all I can find is this- tech support you have to pay for from them.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...sistance&sd=gn
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,020 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Aug-2012, 08:08 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Person2 View Post
High Speed connection- Charter Pipeline, but how do you know the problem is with my ISP? Why not something with outlook express? No one else in my house is having a problem with their outlook express.
From your description of the problem, I'd guess you have a corrupt message on the server that can't download and is hanging OE.
Do one of 2 things.

1: Log in to your ISP's webmail interface (if it's available) and delete the message.

2: Contact your ISP and have them clear your mailbox on the server.

Edit: Here's the log in address for Charter E-mail.
https://web.charter.net/login/email_...3D%26bypass%3D
Member with 7 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 02:00 PM #5
I did call my ISP and they did clear my mail box on their server for my email address (the one I'm having a problem with) but this is still happening. They gave me a microsoft tech support number, which is 1-800-642-7676.

But when I get to the point where I have to wait for a rep, it just keeps ringing and ringing. Usually it starts ringing when someone is about to pick up, and you hear music until then. I'm wondering if instead I'm just going to have to keep listening to it ringing until someone picks up- instead of music. Another problem is the automated system can't understand me. It keeps saying "Help with Outlook, is that correct?" Even when I say Outlook Express. I'm just going to have to explain to them that it's Outlook Express, not Outlook, when I actually get to talk to someone, I guess.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 03:37 PM #6
If they cleared your inbox, then you're no longer stuck on a message from the August 12th, correct? Is it stuck on another message? Is it from the same sender?
Member with 7 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 04:28 PM #7
Well, now it is working, maybe they just hadn't cleared the mailbox yet like they said. But, I signed in under my VPN, and that's when it started working again. Now it works with or without the VPN. If they didn't clear the mailbox, then I don't know how it was fixed, but it's working again, fortunately.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,020 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Aug-2012, 04:45 PM #8
It likely just took OE a while to realize the message it was hanging on wasn't there and cleared the download.
This might be a nuisance for you, but you might want to consider setting OE to not receive at program startup.
Tools>Options>General tab>uncheck "Send and receive messages at startup">OK.
To get new messages, just click the send/receive button after opening OE.
If you ever get something hung again, that would allow the program to open and give you access to things.
If all's good now, you can mark your thread solved.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 07:51 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Person2 View Post
I did call my ISP and they did clear my mail box on their server for my email address (the one I'm having a problem with) but this is still happening. They gave me a microsoft tech support number, which is 1-800-642-7676.

But when I get to the point where I have to wait for a rep, it just keeps ringing and ringing. Usually it starts ringing when someone is about to pick up, and you hear music until then. I'm wondering if instead I'm just going to have to keep listening to it ringing until someone picks up- instead of music. Another problem is the automated system can't understand me. It keeps saying "Help with Outlook, is that correct?" Even when I say Outlook Express. I'm just going to have to explain to them that it's Outlook Express, not Outlook, when I actually get to talk to someone, I guess.
My response was based on this part of your post. You said your inbox was cleared, and you were having the same problem.

Now it sounds like everything is working. If that's the case, then the problem was likely with a particular message.
Member with 7 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 09:26 PM #10
Well, spoke too soon, it's happening again, this time with a different email.

I think it would really help if I could show a Microsoft tech what event viewer is showing me, if they'd know what it means.

I got free support a while back, when I had trouble installing some updates, but if you go to support.microsoft.com they want to charge me $30 per incident.

Strange thing is though, if I sign into outlook express under my VPN after it happens it will work just fine. When I signed into it at first under my VPN it sent me an email saying "suspicious login" (I forgot I had it on) it doesn't do this anymore. Could it maybe think that when I'm signed in under my VPN that that is the correct user who should sign in now...somehow?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!