Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP Keeps getting stuck in boot loop

(!)

Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2012, 01:58 AM #1
XP Keeps getting stuck in boot loop
My brother's pc has XP Home on it, and this is the second time since I built the computer a month ago that windows has gotten stuck in a boot loop. It won't boot into safe mode either. The last time I fixed it running chkdsk found some errors and I repaired the mbr and the boot sector. Then it just booted right up. I bought burnintest and ran the snot out of that and it didn't find any problems. I also ran complete seagate diagnostics tests, all the tests pass. Plus I fully ran memtest+86 twice. Never finding any errors.

So my question is not how to fix the boot loop, but what in the heck is causing this to happen? How do I figure this out? I don't want to but I was going to just format the drive and start fresh again to try that.
Member with 1,319 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Aug-2012, 07:09 PM #2
i dont know...i just dont trust memory testers that much...i have tested ram with memtest and it said passed but the ram was faulty and swapping it out sorted the problem. there again you could have a problem with the board. maybe cables to drives etc
Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Sep-2012, 09:19 AM #3
This seems to actually have been solved by replacing the SATA cable. This is the second time I've found a problem caused by an SATA cable. Until recently I never would have suspected such a thing could be bad, but I guess it makes sense.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!