Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

is there a solution for "can't log in?"

(!)

Member with 116 posts.

24-Aug-2012, 10:30 PM #1
is there a solution for "can't log in?"
I bought a Dell Laptop from a pawn shop.

It won't let me log in. The password on it is not one I put in. They seemed to get in, and delete data (they say they do this on all computers they buy). Is this my problem, or one I should ask them how to solve.

If it becomes my problem, what is the solution?
Member with 44,933 posts.

24-Aug-2012, 11:01 PM #2
They should resolve this or get your money back....You got the receipt? If no help from them then contact Dell and give them the model number so you can reinstall the OS....Might cost a few dollars, however...
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Aug-2012, 11:28 PM #3
If the pawn shop is of no help maybe by contacting dell you can get restore/recovery disks for that model of computer.If that fails and theres a legit and valid COA sticker on the computer a reputable computer repair place might be willing to make you a copy of which windows xp version home or pro that came with the computer for a small fee.Then you will have to go to the dell website and look under support drivers and downloads for that laptop model to get all of the correct drivers needed.You should be all set to go.Since all the data has been deleted you might just have to start over with a clean reinstall anyway.They shouldnt of left anything on there at all to keep you from logging in but things do happen.
Member with 116 posts.

24-Aug-2012, 11:37 PM #4
I do have my receipt. I'm asking them for their help.

For some reason, the COA tag is missing (it was definitely there, but missing on my laptop). Why would this be?

It could be that this thing forces me to get a full price install of windows.
Member with 44,933 posts.

24-Aug-2012, 11:43 PM #5
As an aside: Can you get into a system or factory recovery by tapping F10 or 11 or try whatever F key during boot up? Maybe it's partitioned to reinstall...
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

25-Aug-2012, 03:05 AM #6
If the COA sticker is missing thats not a good sign at all.They arent supposed to be removed ever. I would wonder about this pawnshop that maybe the computer was stolen.Most reputable pawn shops wont even take one if they even suspect that it is and they will report it if it is.If he cant get into the computer at all i dont think he can do anything at this point and more than likely whatever recovery partition is long gone and was deleted somehow.If they dont make things right for you id ask for my money back and go somewhere else where they will sell you something you can use and what you paid for.You expected to have a working computer and if you cant even log in at all its doing you no good.
Member with 116 posts.

25-Aug-2012, 02:28 PM #7
Good points!!! So far, our relations are good. I'll take all these items up with them.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

25-Aug-2012, 06:38 PM #8
I wish you good luck and that it will be resolved for you.
HUGHJ HUGHJ is offline HUGHJ has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Aug-2012, 07:04 PM #9
Seems like you been scammed! A pawnshop will never buy a pc with the serial tag missing.. (sorry)! Just don't believe you brought this at a pawnshop!
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

25-Aug-2012, 10:02 PM #10
I would have to say that most reputable computer repair places that sell new and used computers normally wont buy one either with the COA sticker missing but it does happen.If he says it was bought at a pawnshop give him the benefit of believing it until proven otherwise.If the pawnshop was wrong in selling it to begin with for whatever reason and wont make things right then they should be reported.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Aug-2012, 09:09 PM #11
removed by mod

Last edited by valis; 31-Aug-2012 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: password assistance
Member with 289 posts.

Experience: Know a bit
31-Aug-2012, 02:18 AM #12
Hello All

Is the link in the above post LEGAL?

Regards SilverSurf
Moderator with 63,629 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 07:55 AM #13
Nope.

billmcct, may want to re-read the rules page at techguy.org/rules.html . We cannot assist with bypassing password restriction, for whatever the reason.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 08:23 AM #14
The laptop could be stolen as well.

This is likely just the first of many problems to come. A full Windows license will cost around $200. You can buy a brand new laptop for as little as $400.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 09:39 AM #15
At this point all we can do is wait and see if the person comes back and tells us what happened.At least in ohio and in many other states pawnshops have to follow strict guidelines if they dont they can lose their license.If they dont report an item as stolen if they know it is and sell it anyway they wont be in business very long.When ive sold any of my computers at the places where im known and a good customer ive still had to show my ID and they have checked to make sure my computers have had a valid COA sticker on there.If there is no COA sticker anywhere id be very very suspicious and certainly wouldnt buy it.So just be very careful when buying computers used and make sure nothing looks out of place.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!