Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Documents lost; Windows reinstalled itself?

(!)

Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Sep-2012, 02:21 PM #1
Documents lost; Windows reinstalled itself?
Hi, I had this problem yesterday, and since it's very unusual (and confusing to myself) I'll include everything that had happened (of what I can remember) until this point.

So, yesterday I turned on my computer, and everything was running fine until my computer decided to restart itself. It was then that my computer wouldn't load Windows for some reason, so I assumed it was an overheating issue. After doing some cleaning and what not, I turned it back on and got an error (something about not being able to execute an executable or something like that). I think I tried to do a recovery (or something else that I thought would help at the time), but it froze so I had to hard-reset my computer.

It was at this point where I got this error:
Code:
system32\drivers\pci.sys is missing or corrupt
I really panicked and did a whole bunch of things (which I don't even remember), and all of a sudden I'm at a Windows setup screen (which is odd since I didn't try to reformat, nor did I even put the Windows CD in). After going through the setup screen, I'm on a new user and my old user account is gone. Luckily, I still have most of my programs installed, along with the files that weren't located in my documents.

So my question is, if you can decipher what has happened, is it possible to recover my old files from my documents?
Member with 911 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Sep-2012, 06:46 PM #2
1. Login as Administrator
2. Go to Control Panel
3. In Control Panel go to Users
4. See if your old User Account is still listed

Let me know the result.

T.
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Sep-2012, 02:52 PM #3
It's not.
Member with 911 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Sep-2012, 06:17 PM #4
What we are attempting to do is try every "trick" in Windows in an attempt to recover the Profile. We may have to try a few "tricks" before we find one that works.

Try the following while logged in as the Administrator : -

1. Click Start
2. Go to RUN and type in compmgmt.msc
3. Enter the Computer Management Console
4. Double-click the Local Users and Groups folder
5. Double-click on Users

If the missing User name is displayed with a red cross in the check box before it, this means that the account is disabled or not active. In order to activate the disabled User account do the following: -

1. Double-click the User name.
2. Unclear the ticked check box.
3. Log out
4. Click Restart

The missing User name should now appear on the Login Screen.

Let me know the result.

T.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!