Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Mouse error message

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Sep-2012, 07:51 PM #1
Mouse error message
Hi,

I had previously posted this enquiry on a UK forum, but responses seem to have dried up without a solution. I do appreciate this can sometimes create ill-feeling amongst those who give so generously of their time and knowledge and it is not my intention to upset anybody.

Assuming that I don't want to resort to doing a System Restore (on account that I have very recently had quite a bit of grief achieving a stable install of Kaspersky Internet Security 2013, that will have to be removed if I do), I wonder if anyone can assist me in "killing" what looks to be a Windows XP (Home, Service Pack 3) error message?

On booting up I am confronted with a small panel stating: "The file L8042pr2.Sys on Logitech MouseWare Driver Disk is needed".

I am not using a Logitech mouse, but at some point way back I did - but I don't recall ever having a driver disk with it anyway.

There are some mentions on the internet of instances of this issue having been associated with "hiding" malware, but I've scanned my PC to death with AV and on-line rootkit detectors and nothing results.

The source path for the required file that the error message suggests is: C:\Documents and Settings\User1\Application Data\Systweak\ADU\Advanced Driver Updater\Download\hidvid_046d&pid_c03e\win2k_xp

I do have Advanced Driver Updater, but I don't have a Logitech mouse and none is listed in Device Manager; plus I can't seem to follow the suggested path beyond C:\Documents and Settings\User1\, as I don't see a folder called Application Data in that location.

I just want rid of the message. It is driving me mad, but I don't know where to find the trigger that will disable it.

It has been appearing for less than a week. During that time I have unistalled KIS 2012 using the KAV Remover Tool and installed KIS2013. I have also run CCleaner and Ashampoo WinOptimizer.

Something, somewhere along the line has invoked this error message (or perhaps it does relate to some malware?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

21-Sep-2012, 09:14 PM #2
I hope you didn't pay for "Advanced Driver Updater". IMHO most all of those type utilities will download and install either older versions or wrong versions of drivers. I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver software to see if that may fix the problem. If it doesn't, then download "AutoRuns" from this site,
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963902

Autoruns doesn't need to be installed just unzip the file and run it. When it starts look at the left side of the status bar on the bottom of the window and it will tell you when it is through loading and ready to use. On the top DRIVERS tab locate the "L8042pr2.Sys" entry, if it is present, and uncheck it. Restart the system to see if the problem is solved.
Hope it will work for you.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

22-Sep-2012, 04:12 AM #3
Mouse error message
Many thanks for your much appreciated response billmcct,

I did pay for Advanced Driver Updater, but as I bought it through Ashampoo I imagined that it would be their own software not from Systweak.

There is a "Microsoft Partner" logo on the opening screen and I felt that would offer some reassurance.

I do subscribe to what you say though about the potential for applying incorrect drivers (and I imagine the same scenario might apply to Ashampoo WinOptimizer too?).

I have Autoruns on my desktop already, but wonder if indeed the offending driver would actually appear, as the gist of the message is that it is required, rather than is present in an out-of-date form, or the path has been corrupted?

I will take a look at that and come back.

Thank you once again - eljay376.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

22-Sep-2012, 04:03 PM #4
Hello again billmcct,

I have to admit that I am unable to detect ANY mouse driver in the Drivers listing using Autoruns. Don't now how to append a JPEG here either, I'm afraid - for you/someone else to take a look.

However, if it were the case that Advanced Driver Updater had updated the original driver for my Microsoft USB Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 (IntelliPoint) with the driver relating to a Logitech Mouse, then why is the Microsoft Mouse still working?

Thinking through the idea of uninstalling my actual mouse driver, then re-installing it . . . if I do uninstall it and reboot, should Windows not co-operate by detecting it and locating a suitable plug & play driver on my hard drive, I would be deeper in the "brown stuff" than I am now as I shall not be able to use the computer, except by buying another mouse that does come with an installation disk and attaching that (am I correct on this?).

Would be interested in your further comments.

Many thanks - eljay376.
DerekC has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,705 posts.

22-Sep-2012, 04:49 PM #5
Go to Start > Run > Type "msconfig" (without quotes) and press enter. On the system configuration utility screen, click the Startup Tab, scroll down the list (you may have to click and drag the columns to see the descriptions and names. Uncheck anything that says Logitech, then click ok. After it reboots a screen will appear telling you that you've changed the startup, Check the "Don’t show this message again box" then click ok.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

22-Sep-2012, 05:15 PM #6
Hi DerekC,

Pleased to have your assistance - thank you very much indeed.

I have already checked out a HiJack This! Start Up log and can find no reference whatsoever to anything Logitech.

The website mydriverok.com shows this information: HID-compliant Wheel Mouse HIDVID_046D&PID_C03E.

I am still completely baffled as to the source of this message.

Best regards - eljay376.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

22-Sep-2012, 06:25 PM #7
Mouse error message
Hello again guys,

Thought I might have solved things myself then . . . but no.

The part of the missing file name gave me a clue: HID compliant.

I opened up Device Manager, and sure enough there were 5 Human Interface Device entries there. I disabled them all, one at a time and restarted.

Apart from one of them actually disabling my installed Microsoft mouse, The error message returned on each occasion.

I managed to find on-line the identical problem from a decade back, at:
http://www.osnn.net/general-hardware...e-problem.html

It shows no sign of being resolved then, so there is no solution to be had there.

I haven't been able to locate the source of the missing driver, even on the Logitech website as all the entries there appear to need an actual product name or model number and I just don't know that.

I've tried pasting the file name from mydriverok.com on the Logitech drivers page but nothing is found using that - and even if I did locate the driver I've no idea what the outcome would be if I installed then uninstalled it. No guarantee the error message would go with it as it already survives on its own without the driver in place.

Surely the instruction to show that message exists somwhere on my computer and can be disabled?

Many thanks - eljay376.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

24-Sep-2012, 11:29 AM #8
Eljay, had to go out of town and forgot to bring my flash drive. At this point all I can see to do is open regedit and search and delete all entries for Logitec and L8042pr2.Sys.
I hope you have some knowledge of how to use regedit.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

24-Sep-2012, 02:32 PM #9
Mouse error message
Hello billmcct,

Thank you for your further response.

No references found to Logitech at all on my system. Believe the culprit is the L8042pr2.Sys.

Regedit scares me to death as I am no longer in my prime and as such the consistent of accuracy required would be a real challenge.

All of a sudden, my original posting on http://forums.v3.co.uk/showthread.php?t=228844 burst into life again and some progress is being made if you care to catch up with it?

I don't want to waste anybody's generously given time on doubling-up contributions. In the meantime I thank both you and DerekC for coming to my assistance and feel that is right and proper that I should close the thread now, as a consequence.

My very best regards to you both - eljay376.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

24-Sep-2012, 04:44 PM #10
I visited the other thread and see they also suggest doing a regedit. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT delete the first two entries listed in post #5 on that thread. Hit start/Run/ type regedit and hit enter. When Regedit opens highlight MY Computer then click "EDIT" at the top and select "FIND". Search for Logitec and delete any keys or values found. When done highlight My Computer again and search for L8042pr2 and delete any keys and values found. It is perfectly safe to remove these entries from the registry. I didn't want to sign up at the other site to post.
The F3 key will start the search again after you delete a item hit F3 and continue until you get the message "finished searching the registry" and then start the search for the second item.
Good luck, Bill

Last edited by billmcct; 24-Sep-2012 at 05:47 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

24-Sep-2012, 04:52 PM #11
Mouse error message
Hello billmcct,

Bless you Bill - appreciate you bothering to come back to me with that very timely piece of advice

Kind regards - eljay.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

24-Sep-2012, 04:56 PM #12
Your quite welcome, Bill
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!