Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: windows xp shutdown,restart problem

(!)

shailendra086 shailendra086 is offline shailendra086 has a Profile Picture
Member with 21 posts.

20-Nov-2012, 01:52 AM #1
Angry Solved: windows xp shutdown,restart problem
HI,

When I try to shut down or restart my computer, the screen says" windows is shutting down" but it does't shutdown.The same message appears when i try to restart or go for standby mode.the system hangs for an endless time and nothing happens.every time i have to push the power button to turn off my computer.I tried to repair windows but the problem is still there.I have Compaq 610 laptop with windows xp professional ,sp2(version 2002).I am not an advance user and don't know what to do.

please reply me soon if anybody finds the solution. Thank you
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 204 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Nov-2012, 05:15 AM #2
If you can get into safe mode (tap F8 on bootup) try this first in case there's a nasty lurking:
http://www.superantispyware.com
http://www.malwarebytes.org

Download and install both, update them and scan and delete anything they find. If you can't get into safe mode or normal boot post back.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,317 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Nov-2012, 09:50 AM #3
Quote:
When I try to shut down or restart my computer, the screen says" windows is shutting down" but it does't shutdown.The same message appears when i try to restart or go for standby mode.the system hangs for an endless time and nothing happens.every time i have to push the power button to turn off my computer.I tried to repair windows but the problem is still there.I have Compaq 610 laptop with windows xp professional ,sp2(version 2002).I am not an advance user and don't know what to do.
Why hasn't Windows XP been upgraded to SP3 which was released over 4 years ago?

------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 21 posts.

21-Nov-2012, 03:07 AM #4
Thanks for your reply but the problem is still there.I started windows in safe mode,downloaded "superantispyware" and "malwarebytes" ,installed & updated,Then scanned the system .Both of them detected a total of 51 malwares,adwares etc. & removed them.After that i restarted the system in normal mode.In safe mode there was no problem with shutdown & restart but in normal mode, again system did not shutdown or restarted, showing windows is shutting down.one thing more i would like to mention here ,the same problem happened few months ago and solved only after i formatted the "C drive ".I don't know should I go for that again or there is somthing which might help me.

reply soon,thanks
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 204 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Nov-2012, 04:44 AM #5
Have you installed SP3 as advised. That in itself cures lots of problems and makes the system more stable.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

22-Nov-2012, 10:44 AM #6
Considering how long Windows XP has been in such an outdated condition, and considering the issues you're having with that computer, a clean reinstall of Windows XP and getting a fresh start may be the best option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 21 posts.

25-Nov-2012, 10:26 PM #7
Thanks for your advise friends, now i have XP SP 3 installed in my pc & is working fine.All problems related to shutdown & restart have been solved.thanks
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2012, 10:06 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shailendra086 View Post
Thanks for your advise friends, now i have XP SP 3 installed in my pc & is working fine.All problems related to shutdown & restart have been solved.thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!