Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Use Dell OEM disk with HP OEM License?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 134 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Feb-2013, 08:23 PM #1
Question Use Dell OEM disk with HP OEM License?
Hi,

I have an old HP Pavillion zx5000, and I lost my restore CD for Windows XP Home Edition. The key is on the bottom of the laptop so I still have that. I still have my Dell Windows XP Home restore disk. I don't believe it has any drivers or anything on it since it also came with a drivers disk. Anyway, can I install the Dell Win XP on the HP Laptop and activate it using the HP Key?

I've researched the net thoroughly and can't find any downloads for Windows XP Home Edition HP OEM. I can find the Pro edition but not Home. I've found many Dell XP iso's but the only HP one I can find is XP Pro.

tl;dr Can I use the HP windows key with the Dell XP installation disk and will it pass activation

don't want to format it without knowing first. (The computer is slower than you can possibly imagine)

Thank you all,
Bushpilot
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

27-Feb-2013, 12:40 AM #2
You cant legally download any windows operating systems.what did the hp come with originally home or pro?if you use any oem cd it has to be the version that matches the key on the bottom.in other words home to home pro to pro or it wont activate.when you do go to activate it you will have to type in the hp coa product code since you wont be using an hp oem cd.you might even try and see if you can still get restore/recovery disks for your model of computer from hp.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

27-Feb-2013, 08:20 AM #3
You cannot use one manufacturers proprietary disks on another manufacturers machine. You can get a set of recovery disks for the HP zx5000 here.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/Sear...esults#Results

I've used recovery disks from this site on many repairs and they have always worked flawlessly. The part number for the disks for XP Home is 438986-001
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,556 posts.

27-Feb-2013, 10:24 AM #4
bushpilot223:

The HP support site shows 31 models for the HP Pavilion zx5000 series laptop, so you need to confirm the exact model you have before you purchase a recovery disc kit from Computer Surgeons HP Recovery Center.

What's the model number(M/N) and/or product number(P/N) on its sticker?

---------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

27-Feb-2013, 10:33 AM #5
i have used restore/ recovery disks in the past on different computers and yes ill agree they do work well. however microsoft and those in the computer repair business explained to me that you can use for an example a dell oem on a hp or a compaq computer etc as long as you use the correct coa sticker product code it will activate if the oem disk and sticker are genuine and legit.but they added it should only be done in an emergency until you can get the correct disks for your brand and model of computer to use in the future.i was also told and that it was explained that you cant mix and match however. it has to be oem to oem retail to retail etc.if someone was told differently by microsoft im sure they will let us know.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,548 posts.

27-Feb-2013, 01:32 PM #6
Quote:
I still have my Dell Windows XP Home restore disk.
A "restore" disk? If you mean a Recovery CD it will only work for that model Dell. If you mean a Windows XP installation CD (or a Dell branded "Re-installation CD") I think it will work fine on the HP with the HP's Product Key. OTOH, I cannot give you the guarantee for which you are looking.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

27-Feb-2013, 03:51 PM #7
i guess i didnt explain it very well. i meant a windows xp cd aka a dell branded one etc. terry explained it much better. sorry for the confusion.using a restore/recovery disk on a computer other than the one its meant for wont work at all.and trying to use a retail cd and then using the oem sticker product key wont activate either.just remember oem to oem retail to retail. if you try to mix and match when it comes time to activate it wont.i learned that the hard way years ago.a restore/recovery disk usually has not only the operating system needed but all of the drivers as well. most oem disks that i have such as my dell branded ones have the system only no drivers at all.You have to find the correct drivers needed. sometimes with vista and windows 7 you get lucky and the drivers are all there but thats rare.
Computer Specs
Member with 134 posts.

04-Mar-2013, 12:24 PM #8
Well thanks everyone for trying to help. I did get it working.

Just because the Windows XP CD says Dell on it doesn't mean anything other than the disc is an OEM disk that will only work with an OEM Key (if you use internet activation)

However, if you contact Microsoft over the phone, explain to them what is going on, and choose Activate Windows by Phone, you can give them your installation ID (after you change the product key, since it is automatically installed with a Dell OEM key) and they will give you your activation code. It worked flawlessly for me and Windows is 100% activated and all updates are installed, and it is genuine.

So if anyone is in the same pickle as me--as long as the Windows CD you're using doesn't include drivers and a bunch of bloatware crap, it's totally fine to use i.e. a Dell CD on an HP computer. Just activate by phone! I activated my Dell OEM Windows XP with an HP OEM product key and it's working perfectly. If your CD includes drivers and bloatware you can still probably do it, but you should uninstall all of the bloatware/drivers after Windows finishes its installation.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

04-Mar-2013, 01:21 PM #9
Well im glad its solved and that you are up and running now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
use dell disk on hp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!