Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP sp3 driver installation problem

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

06-Mar-2013, 01:42 PM #1
Windows XP sp3 driver installation problem
I have a Dell Dimension 3000 running Windows XP sp3. The motherboard is a Dell ON6381 running an Intel i865g/gv chipset. The Southbridge is an Intel 8380/eb/er (ich5/ich5r).

Whenever I boot up the computer, Windows notifies me that it has found an IDE controller, a primary IDE channel and a secondary IDE channel.

When it tries to install drivers, I get the following message “The specified service does not exist as an installed service”.

I have Norton Driver Manager software and have used it to reinstall the system board chipset drivers.

After reinstalling the system board chipset drivers, Windows once again notifies me that it has found an IDE controller, a primary IDE channel and a secondary IDE channel.

When Windows tries to install the drivers, I continue to get the message “The specified service does not exist as an installed service”.

Norton Driver Manager indicates the following drivers are either out of date or have a problem:

IDE ATA\ATAPI Controller

IDE Controller

SYSTEM DEVICE

Intel 82801DB PCI Bride 244E

UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLER

2 Intel 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Hot Controller 24DD

I assume this is a registry problem but I not sure how to correct it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,923 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2013, 01:52 PM #2
Go into the Device Manager. Are there any entries in the list that have a yellow ? or ! next to them?

Do all devices in that Dell Dimension 3000 appear to be working properly?

----------------------------------------------------------

You might want to read here about Norton Driver Manager.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 06-Mar-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Member with 6 posts.

06-Mar-2013, 03:24 PM #3
Yes. All three items related to the IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers have a yellow ? The items marked in yellow are IDE Channel, IDE Channel and IDE Controller. There are no problem devises except the IDE/ATA controller and its related devises. I am sure the IDE/ATA controller is working at some level since I assume it controls the hard disk drive which is working at some level. I doubt, however, that the hard drive is working effeciently.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

06-Mar-2013, 05:29 PM #4
The drivers for the Intel 865GV chipset for the Dell Dimension 3000 are located here.

Download and save the R58201_ZPE.exe file, then close all open windows, then double-click the saved file to start the install process, then follow the directions.

----------------------------------------------------------
Member with 6 posts.

07-Mar-2013, 08:41 AM #5
I reinstalled the R58201 package and the installation process proceeded without error. Upon rebooting, I continued to receive "The specified service does not exist as an installed service” message. Could there be a problem in the registry?
Computer Specs

07-Mar-2013, 08:58 AM #6
Have you been using any registry/file "cleaners"?

---------------------------------------------------------
Member with 6 posts.

07-Mar-2013, 09:41 AM #7
No.
Computer Specs

07-Mar-2013, 09:47 AM #8
Do you recall what you did before this issue occurred?

What makes you believe it's an issue with the registry?

Member with 6 posts.

07-Mar-2013, 09:54 AM #9
This problem has been going on for some time. I don't remember anything in particular. The reason I believed it might be a registry issue is that I typed in the same message into Google and came up with the Tech Support Guy site which had solved a problem with the exact same message.
Computer Specs

07-Mar-2013, 10:04 AM #10
From what I can determine, the Dell Dimension 3000 desktop was introduced in August 2004, so it's about 8-1/2 years old.

If you're still using the original Windows XP that came in it, it's probably accumulated a number of issues and "debris" over the years.

A clean reinstall of Windows XP and getting a fresh start will breathe new life into a computer.

Unfortunately, many people aren't willing or have the ability to go that route.

Member with 6 posts.

07-Mar-2013, 12:41 PM #11
I was trying to avoid a clean install. Thanks for trying. I really appreciate your help with this.
Computer Specs

08-Mar-2013, 09:08 AM #12
You're welcome.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!