Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Google Earth problem with DirectX wont start up ?

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

26-Mar-2013, 04:06 PM #1
Solved: Google Earth problem with DirectX wont start up ?
Hi
This is my first time on this site. I have a new problem!! I have Windows XP and have had no problems with using Google Earth. However, recently there was an automatic update and now my Google Earth will not load. A message come up indicating that it will not load with mode DirectX. So I looked and tried the corrections per their three suggestions of which none have corrected the problem. GE also will not run in the other suggested mode either. My Direct X is revised vision 11. I have also removed and reinstalled GE but still it is not working. I have searched the internet sites and saw that others are having the same problem with no correct solution. Can anyone please help and thanks.
Member with 231 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Mar-2013, 04:42 PM #2
If it just happened then there might be a quick fix. That will link you to how to perform a System Restore, which should reset your PC back to just before that update when things went bad.

Now if that works, and the restore is successful, right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Go to the Automatic Updates tab and change it the second option , Download updates...etc
If you leave it on Automatic, the update will install again and you will be back to square one!
This way a little gold/yellow shield will appear from time to time to indicate new updates are available. You then choose Custom instead of Express so that you can control which updates will install.
Member with 3 posts.

26-Mar-2013, 07:20 PM #3
That update was from Google Earth, not Windows. I am not sure yet, but the trouble may arise in older graphics cards. I have the same issue. The Earth update came in unbidden a couple of hours' ago. So, Earth needs to be rolled back, not Windows!
Member with 6 posts.

26-Mar-2013, 10:42 PM #4
I don't know when it stopped working? Because I haven't used GE until just today. So I dont know the time to set it back. All I know is when I tried it today, GE wasn't working. What has happened to make it stop working? I still want to get my updates? Sorry, I just don't understand why. Wouldn't it be GE problem? Thanks for your help and any more help to solve this.
Member with 3 posts.

27-Mar-2013, 12:33 AM #5
Hi! If Earth was working recently and has stopped working since the last update, then you should be able to see the date/time of the update in Event Viewer/Application. Mine appeared under "MsiInstaller" in the list. Opened up, the first MsiInstaller entry reads in part:

QUOTE. Event Type: Information
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1040
Date: 26/03/2013
Time: 20:49:02
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:
Description:
Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\._msige61\Google Earth.msi. Client Process Id: 1708.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. END QUOTE.

That date/time ties in with freshly dated sub-folders in Goggle Earth's main folder, which were made one minute later. I have a system restore point labelled "Software Distribution Service 3.0" timed about 10 minutes' earlier, which in turn was made about 10 minutes after I had switched the computer on. So, tomorrow I am proposing to attempt to restore to that point with the internet switched off so that no update can be downloaded and see if I can fix the old version so that it does not automatically update. If I can't, then I will disable, in Services, the three Google update services I have listed there on this particular machine. Then I'll switch the internet back on and work from that point.

Another way to fix this would be to uninstal the current Earth and instal instead the previous version, from here:

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html.

Click "advanced setup" in "Customize your installation of Google Earth with advanced setup" and use the options which appear.

I may get back to this thread tomorrow with a bit more news. It seems at this stage that Earth's most recent update is not backwards compatible with some older graphics cards. That being the case, they may produce a better update at some point.

However, I am the first to admit I need a new computer!
Member with 6 posts.

27-Mar-2013, 12:16 PM #6
Cant seem to find the viewer like you suggested. Tried the 2nd suggestion: removing GE and Installing GE download program you linked and problem still exists. What is up with this? What is GE doing about this?
Member with 231 posts.

27-Mar-2013, 11:29 PM #7
Hi TKC, the viewer is the Event Viewer. To get to it, right click on My Computer and choose Manage. You will see Event Viewer on the left, expand it to show the different system logs, the first of which is the Application log.
You will have quite a lot of entries there, so if you want to identify when this happened exactly, you will have to scroll back to the date the update took place and then examine any MSI entries as described by Williamlambton.

Still sounds like a System Restore is your best option but no need to mess with the update settings as the update was a GE update and not a Windows update (when you said 'an automatic update', I automatically thought of the Windows Automatic Updates!).
So try 1) uninstalling GE, 2) perform a Restore to a time prior to the GE update, 3) then try reinstalling using one of the older versions of GE.
Member with 6 posts.

28-Mar-2013, 08:04 AM #8
Sorry Buddy, When I click on My Computer I have no Manage? However, if I go to Start I then can find a restore Wizard that has a calendar to set the date back. But just don't know when this update occurred and i hate to lose any of my data? Why don't I have a manage section where you said to look?
Member with 231 posts.

28-Mar-2013, 08:24 AM #9
Are you sure you clicked the right-mouse button on the My Computer icon, not the normal left-button click? Then it could be the version of XP you are using.
You can go to Control panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer in that case.
That is the wonderful thing about the Restore, as it states, it does NOT affect your data, only any new programs you installed after the restoration point will have to be reinstalled.
Member with 6 posts.

28-Mar-2013, 12:07 PM #10
Got to the Event Viewer Thanks!!! that was helpful. Lots of goodies in there!! But I can not find any event ID #1040 or an event that matches the terms or is similar to what Will had posted?. But please understand I don't know what I am looking for? However, I did notice an event described that GE was downloaded successfully? which is in about that same time frame.
Member with 6 posts.

28-Mar-2013, 02:37 PM #11
PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!! I went on Google Earth Site and found someone that had the same problem. He explained that all he did was to remove the current Google Earth program using the add/remove programs. Then he went online and found Google Earth Version 6.2 and reloaded the older version. I did the same and It all works again!!!! Plus, I didn't lose any of my waypoints. I am still wondering how the new version was loaded/updated. Any suggestions on stopping that from happening again? Thanks very much for your help. I would like to have the new GE version, but I guess that it just won't work with XP?? Strange??
Member with 231 posts.

28-Mar-2013, 04:44 PM #12
Well if you used the download link that William gave you and you clicked the "Customize your installation of Google Earth with advanced setup" and chose the older version, the "Allow Google Earth to automatically install recommended updates." option is unchecked for you.
So if that was how you installed your current GE, you should have no more update problems.

If you want to test out that latest version, you'll just have to brace for the possibility of having to repeat the process to get you back to the older version!
Member with 3 posts.

28-Mar-2013, 06:59 PM #13
Have just read all the recent posts. Basically, I ended up also, like tkcenterline, uninstalling and reinstalling using the 6.2.2.6613 version, which was only built ~five months' back; I got round to doing this just a short while ago, hence the slow return to this thread. Google automatically disable updates for this old version, as Hitori has said. It worked, but produced no graphics! This was fixed by disabling "Atmosphere" under "View".

Before that, I tried restoring to a point just before the auto-update came in. However, Windows renamed some Earth folders, adding them as a separate entry under Programme Files. Earth wouldn't start, possibly because of that. Anyhow, to save time, I just uninstalled that version (6.1.0.5001, interestingly, not 6.2.2.6613) and reinstalled, as stated.

The root cause of the failure of version 7.0.3.8542 I don't know. It may simply be my 2005 graphics card, Via/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP, built-in with the old Acer/Gigabyte motherboard. Google are talking about DirectX 9 for the latest Earth update. A blog tells me my graphics card cannot fully manage DirectX 7, despite being classified as compatible!! So, if the Earth update wasn't backwards compatible with a DirectX 6 graphics card, there's the issue...

Well, I am overdue buying a new computer. This sort of problem may get me off my waypoint.

Talking of which, tkcenterline, your personal Earth data is kept separately from the programme itself and is not deleted when you uninstal - so, that's why you got the all-important "My Places" back.
Member with 147 posts.

21-Apr-2013, 08:31 AM #14
Invisible Earth
Am having a similar problem with Earth. Been through the following drill several times and each time I again download Earth, the same problem pops up. First, after the download, earth causes my screen to go black for a few seconds. Then suddenly my resolution is set to 8-bit. That really screws things up so I go to desktop and reset to 32-bit. Before doing that, if I exit earth, I also exit the 8-bit setting (Black screen and back to normal).

Then we get to go through the endless loop of "won't work with Direct X. Try GL" and "won't work with GL. Try Direct X" That could keep a newbie busy for hours.

When all that gets sorted out, Earth finally loads, but without the big blue marble. Just some outlines and if you zoom in, some roads and other stuff, depending on my settings. Strangely, if I zoom in close enough to see the little man on the nav inset, I can go to street level and wander around at will.

The next steps are as follows:

Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>(kill Earth)
Start>Search>googleearth (delete everything that comes up) one won't delete.
Start>Run>regedit>F3>googleearth (delete everything) do this to the end of the registry.

That should have cleaned out every bit of Earth.

Download Earth again and have the same fun all over again. (Have downloaded using Chrome, Opera and even IE.

This situation does not occur with any other application. The Google Earth Help site is not much help. Tried everything suggested there. Fizber Street and Bing Maps work fine. I can't purposely make this happen on anything but Earth.

Getting paranoid! Google Earth hates me! What did I ever do to them? What am I missing? My computer is a 2002 Dell running XP. New Seagate 80 gig HDD and New Dell IN1910N monitor. Latest edition of NVIDIA.

LOL? (in this case it means Lots of luck)
Member with 147 posts.

24-Apr-2013, 12:04 PM #15
Got mine resolved after several days of following advice that didn't work. Follow this order:

Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs> remove Google earth.

That will not remove all its components.

Next, go to your Recycle Bin and empty it.

Next, go to Start>Search>All Files and Folders> (enter "googleearth", no quotes, no space) Delete all results.

Some may seem to remain, but they are really gone.

Next, go to Start>Run>regedit hit the F3 button and type googleearth in the search box. The screen shold be divided in two parts. Don't mess with the LEFT side. Delete everything the appears in the right panel.

Do that continuously until you get a message that tells you you got to the end of the registry.

Next, go to http://www.oldapps.com/google_earth....tem=Windows_XP and find and download Google Earth Version 6.0.3.2197

Have fun!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!