Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Temp Files Very Large

(!)

Member with 185 posts.

Experience: Advanced, but depends on the topic
11-May-2013, 04:19 PM #1
Internet Temp Files Very Large
I am not sure if this thread should be here in Op/Sys or in where browser problems are found ...

I am running WinXP SP3 on a IBM T40. The browser is FireFox 20.0.1 IE8 is installed but never used. I have recently noticed that I am running out of disk space on C:\ (opsys and programs only on that drive). When I poked around to see what was happening, I noticed that there was 4GB of content in Internet Temp Files in an "IE5" folder. This was surprising because all browsers are set to delete everything (history, cache, ...) on exit. I deleted them all (using CleanUp!). I checked space on C:\ and it was back to where it should be. Several days later the same problem -- 4GB+ of content in the same area.

I run AVG security s/w and manually run Malware Bytes and SpyBot once a week. There is no indication of any malware. The only recent change/install is an update to Firefox 20.x

Any thoughts on what might be going on?
Account Disabled with 137 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-May-2013, 06:43 PM #2
Hi! This page may offer some suggestions to read about. Hope it helps with your problem!

Keeping Microsoft Windows PCs Clean: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/clean.htm
Member with 185 posts.

Experience: Advanced, but depends on the topic
12-May-2013, 08:36 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BInformed View Post
Hi! This page may offer some suggestions to read about. Hope it helps with your problem!

Keeping Microsoft Windows PCs Clean: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/clean.htm
Thanks for the prompt reply. The link is interesting but is focused on a normally operating system and normal clean up procedures. I am pretty experienced with WinXP and how to keep a PC free of crap files.
  • I have all browsers (just FireFox and IE on this system) set to delete everything on exit
  • I run CleanUp! and CCleaner weekly
  • I run a Registry cleanup tool about once a quarter (there is mixed opinion regarding the value of such tools)

The issue is the quite recent (within the last two weeks) and sudden accumulation of 100 times the number/size files that I have previously experienced over the last several years. I keep track (mostly mentally) of how much junk CleanUp! and CCleaner find and delete when I run them. The normal amount is 15 to 20 MB when run on a weekly basis (ignoring those special cases when large files and such have been deleted and are sitting in the Recycle Bin). At present, I can not get to one week because the C:\ drive is full in 4 or 5 days (4.5GB of crap files). So now I run CleanUp! approx every day and find 750 MB of crap files. So something has clearly happened in the last two weeks to cause this unusual behavior. The only obvious thing is the recent update to Firefox 20.x The fact that this is "related" to browsers (or so it appears) and Firefox was recently updated is suspicious. But I am running virtually the same op/sys and versions of FF and IE on two other computers with no evidence of this problem.

ADDED: I have also noticed something strange about the Temporary Internet Files directory. The folder is no longer visible for the main account on the PC using a file manager. Yet when I run CleanUp!, it finds crap files in that directory and deletes them.

I have also noticed that IE8 has some strange behavior. When I navigate to Tools | Internet Options | General | Browsing History Settings , the location of temp files appears correct. Yet when I click on Show Files, the DeskTop is displayed (by the file manager)

Last edited by MWE; 12-May-2013 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Add'l Info
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!