Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Clarification - Use of XP after April 2014?

(!)

Member with 35 posts.

01-Nov-2013, 10:52 PM #1
Solved: Clarification - Use of XP after April 2014?
I understand XP won't be supported by MS after April 2014. Can the computer still be used offline (not on the internet)? I've got a Dell Inspiron 1200 which I'm sure can't be upgraded to Windows 7. Am I correct that as long as I stay off the internet, I can still use the computer for basic word processing, financial, etc.? Thanks for clarifying this for me.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,112 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Nov-2013, 01:00 AM #2
Yes you can still do all those things.

In fact you can still go onto the Internet but that will have more risk after April 2014 because Microsoft won't issue any more security updates for XP. If you're careful it should be safe enough though.

Actually there's a good chance you could run Windows 7 on that laptop, you might have to search for some drivers but that's not very hard to do and I'm sure you would get help from TSG if you need it.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,432 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 09:40 AM #3
The Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop supports a maximum of 1.25 GB of DDR RAM and is too old and too slow to run Windows 7, so leave Windows XP in it.

Continue to install any monthly security-related updates that are released for it until Microsoft stops providing them in 5 months.

I don't see a problem with continuing to use in on-line after that, as long as you don't have any sensitive personal data or information in it that can be accessed by hackers, and as long as you practice safe on-line habits and conduct proper maintenance.

--------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 02-Nov-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 4,496 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 12:26 PM #4
I agree with the above, however PERSONALLY I would not use the internet on it period. There are attacks which can be inserted and not known about until too late, while these arent common thay ARE out there.
Member with 485 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 12:45 PM #5
Say what you will, but I used w95 for years after MS stopped supporting it and never had any problems. I quit using it only after my bank quit supporting it. Was I lucky?, maybe, but most hackers move on to newer Windows version as time goes on. Just be safe and cautious.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,496 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 12:52 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaavagent View Post
Say what you will, but I used w95 for years after MS stopped supporting it and never had any problems. I quit using it only after my bank quit supporting it. Was I lucky?, maybe, but most hackers move on to newer Windows version as time goes on. Just be safe and cautious.
You are correct, and mainly they move on to newer OS because thats what most people are using, however Windows XP is the LONGEST running OS (12.5 years at 04/14) So even with the warnings of cancellation since 2008 people are STILL using windows XP. So it may not be as safe as people might think. However this is just my opinion. Just putting it out there
Computer Specs
Member with 5,556 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 01:47 PM #7
Well, I might use Windows 7 beyond it's End of Life because it has several security enhancements architecturally embedded. But I won't use XP. It is precisely because of it's prone to getting hacked that MS reworked security and came up with Vista.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,496 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 01:51 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlander View Post
Well, I might use Windows 7 beyond it's End of Life because it has several security enhancements architecturally embedded. But I won't use XP. It is precisely because of it's prone to getting hacked that MS reworked security and came up with Vista.
EXCELLENT way to put it, LunarLander!!!
Member with 35 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 02:11 PM #9
Thumbs up Thanks
Thanks so much for helping me to understand what is wise. Both my IT son and engineering son are grown and too busy with their families for me to bother them, so I'm sooo glad you knowledgeable and helpful people are out there and available to us who are less knowledgeable. Will mark solved.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,496 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 02:15 PM #10
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is online now DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,602 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 02:44 PM #11
Just because Microsoft stop issuing security updates doesn't mean that the anti-virus programs will. I will probably still use XP occasionally, but I will keep checking for updates and keep my AV up to date. I won't use it for banking or connecting to other machines though.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,432 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 06:35 PM #12
To add to what Dave said in post #11:

A number of antivirus programs and browsers have already agreed to support Windows XP SP3 beyond April 2014.

Even though Windows XP SP3 is now 12 years old, it's still so popular globally that Microsoft is pulling out all stops to convince people to switch to and buy the newer operating systems.

----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 4,112 posts.

02-Nov-2013, 09:23 PM #13
I'm running Windows 7 and XP in a dual boot on an old laptop with a 1.2GHz Cpu and 1GB of Ram and it's as quick as XP.

The only problem was finding drivers for 7 and I managed to find all of them.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is online now DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,602 posts.

03-Nov-2013, 06:58 AM #14
I am doing that on my Dell Latitude C840 which is not supposed to and it is faster. It is supposed to be limited to 1Mb, but I happened to find that with the later BIOS it works with 2Mb. Win7 is very slow and struggles with less than 2mb.
Computer Specs
Member with 506 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Nov-2013, 01:30 PM #15
I have a eMachines 730 with XP Home. It is too old and slow to run Windows 7 so I'll leave XP on it. I will however for the computers that are compatible with 7 dual-boot it so I can get the best of both worlds!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!