Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Taskbar & Desktop Icons Blinking!

(!)

Member with 85 posts.

24-Mar-2003, 06:52 PM #1
Angry Taskbar & Desktop Icons Blinking!
Recently, every so often, let's say that I am on the internet, my takbar will start blinking. I can still do things on the net. But, if I log off or minimize the WINDOW, I find that my icons are blinking too. My OS is WINDOWS XP. Is this happening to anyone else? Any solutions? Thanks!
Member with 275 posts.

26-Mar-2003, 02:23 PM #2
Sounds to me like you have either a virus, or someone is playing a joke on you and put one of those "Prank Programs" on your computer.

These programs are harmless and supposed to be fun, but they are annoying. Has anyone else had access to your computer?

Try running a virus scan?
Member with 85 posts.

26-May-2003, 08:42 AM #3
Sorry that it has taken so long to reply.

I scanned for VIRUSES and found none. I thought of the prank thing but of the four people (my family), none has admitted to it. I have to believe them, because it is all too frustrating for them also. Since my first post on this subject, I have found out that if I bring my PC up from a 'cold' start, this problem will be happening almost everytime until I restart the PC. Sometimes it might take three times (restarting) for the 'blinking' to stop. Once it does stop, the PC is pretty stable. But, if you try to do to many things, such as close to many 'WINDOWS', it might start the blinking thing again. It seems to me that it is kind of like what locking up would do, but not. Just blinking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Senior Member with 2,636 posts.

26-May-2003, 09:33 AM #4
Have AOL installed ????

I saw it happen once on a friends computer. He was playing some bingo game through aol and some ad installed some browser hijacker in c:\windows\downloaded program files.

So I deleted it and it fixed it.

Last edited by Shadow2531; 26-May-2003 at 09:52 AM..
Member with 85 posts.

26-May-2003, 09:37 AM #5
No...I don't. My IP is COX Communications. There is no other server installed on my PC.
Senior Member with 3,452 posts.

26-May-2003, 09:49 AM #6
A friend of mine had something similar, all the desktop icons were flashing she said. Tried online virus scan, nothing, tried Norton, nothing. Tried mine:
http://www1.my-etrust.com/
Fixed the problem..
It's a 30 day free trial, so you don't have anything to loose if no one else has a suggestion.
Member with 85 posts.

26-May-2003, 11:58 AM #7
Del,

Thank you for your advice. I downloaded EZ Antivirus. Sadly, it too detected no viruses as the report below states:

Number of files scanned: 92580.
Number of files that could not be scanned: 49
No file viruses detected.

Thanks again
Member with 3,300 posts.

Experience: n00b
26-May-2003, 01:46 PM #8
The only time I encounter a problem like this is when I surf crack sites - they hit me with so much stuff that my toolbar actually flutters.

In your case though (from what I've read) I suspect an electrical hardware problem. It could be any number of things from your power supply to your memory or a harddrive/motherboard going bad.

The first thing I'd do though is d/l the latest drivers for my machine and if that didn't work I'd then update the BIOS. If that didn't work I'd start swapping hardware. Remember, not everything is a software problem...
Member with 1,689 posts.

26-May-2003, 01:54 PM #9
Might be a problem with monitor refresh rate. I recently had to crank mine up to 85Hertz due to blinking/flashing on dropdown menus.
Senior Member with 3,369 posts.

27-May-2003, 09:21 PM #10
Taskbar & Desktop Icon Blinking!
Does not neccessarily indicate that you have a problem. If you have installed TWEAK UI for Win XP then I suggest that you go into TWEAK UI and click on 'FOCUS' under "GENERAL" and read what is there.
Member with 85 posts.

27-May-2003, 09:40 PM #11
Where do I find this info on TWEAK UI? Do I do a search on my PC? Or on a certain website? I seen the Microsoft website but I could not find anything about FOCUS.

Thanks! I think we might be getting somewhere now.
Member with 429 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-May-2003, 11:45 PM #12
Tweak UI is a MS product, but they don't push it, (or charge for it) or support it. You can find the download on this page.http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp
It is rather good, and the suggestion by Al-Firdaus is a good one.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!