Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

loading XP from scratch (dos)

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

04-May-2003, 08:08 AM #1
loading XP from scratch (dos)
Put XP cd in drive, switched on 'laptop, Typed Winnt at C:\ prompt, off it went into windows setup (blue screen).

Got following message:' The file ohci1394.sys is corrupted. press any key to continue.' press a key then get message at bottom of screen (white area):' Setup failed, press any key to restart computer'. Then I'm back to square one.
Is this a hardware or software problem and any ideas(in laymans speak as far as poss please) of how to contimue to successfully install XP?

Many thanks,

Alan
Senior Member with 882 posts.

04-May-2003, 08:12 AM #2
Have you formatted the drive that you're loading xp onto or are you going over another os.

04-May-2003, 08:22 AM #3
Hi Hawk,

Its a new laptop and it just has the Dos C:\ prompt on the black screen until I put the XP cd on to arrive at the situation mentioned.

Alan

04-May-2003, 08:23 AM #4
I havent formatted it.

04-May-2003, 08:34 AM #5
Ok what you need to do is go into bios and change the boot sequence to cd as the first boot, click save and exit, and let the pc reboot with the xp cd in the drive. Follow the prompts and format the hard drive. Once completed xp will load all the setupfiles etc,after this is done it will want restart the pc, on restart go back into bios and reset the boot sequence back to ide 0 as the first boot again click save and exit. Once it restarts it should start to load windows.

04-May-2003, 08:58 AM #6
Err this may sound daft but how do I get into bios?
Member with 1,696 posts.

04-May-2003, 12:37 PM #7
Try cleaning the installation CD.
Senior Member with 623 posts.

04-May-2003, 01:07 PM #8
On my IBM Thinkpad, when I first power on there is a message at the bottom of the screen saying "Press F12 to enter BIOS Setup or press F1 to change the boot sequence".

There should be something similar on your laptop.

When you finally boot up off of the XP CD, I would recommend that you partition your hard drive as you wish, but have the primary partition formatted as NTFS instead of FAT32.

04-May-2003, 06:56 PM #9
It will tell you on the bottom of the black sreen on startup. eg: press -- key to go to setup. Its usually the Delete key but this can vary from pc to pc. You have to hold the key down while its doing the memory test. Once in bios go to advanced setup and use your arrow keys to scroll threw the settings and page up and down to change the settings. It will tell on the bottom of the screen which keys to use anyway. Just make sure you save the settings before you exit, usually done by pressing the F10 key then on the promt hit Y for yes.
Member with 1,696 posts.

04-May-2003, 07:58 PM #10
If the "ohci1394.sys" file is in fact corrupt, booting from the CD isn't going to help. It may not be corrupt, it could be just a smudge on the CD.

What could be tried is copying the i386 folder onto the harddrive. Start "smrtdrv.exe" first or it will take an hour. An error message will show each corrupted file, however it will continue to copy the i386 folder. Keep a list of all the corrupt files.

Then find good copies of those files and replace the corrupt files with the good ones.

When that's done, typing "winnt" at the C: prompt should start and complete the install.

You can get a copy of "ohci1394.sys" here.

05-May-2003, 07:23 AM #11
Does the fact that I get a message at the top of the black screen saying,'Press any key to boot from CD' mean that it is already set to boot from CD? (IBM THinkpad 600X)

I have tried cleaning the XP cd but it makes no difference. (Why didn't I think of the easy thingds first!?)

Thanks all for your help.

Alan

05-May-2003, 07:27 AM #12
Hi Alan, you can try that but you'll still have to format, but once you get it to boot from the cd xp will do it for you.

05-May-2003, 10:18 AM #13
I found a way to install XP avoiding all the techno stuff. Don't laugh but I just lnstalled my old Windows95 cd which loaded up no probs. At the black screen changed the prompt from C:/ to D:/ typed SETUP and off it went.

Then I just stuck in my XP CD and it loaded up fine. It would have taken ME a lot longer any other way.

One thing I don't understand is that when loading the XP cd a message came up and said' cannot upgrade to XP' but I ignored it and it seems to have loaded ok. (hope its not an omen!!)

Thanks for your time,

Alan
Senior Member with 623 posts.

05-May-2003, 12:29 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by alfrecu:
Does the fact that I get a message at the top of the black screen saying,'Press any key to boot from CD' mean that it is already set to boot from CD? (IBM THinkpad 600X)

Alan
Yes, that is the message that is expected. When you hit the any key, the CD will boot into the XP setup program. The first thing that it does is check the hard drive for partitions and file systems and after that you can re-partition and format.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!