Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why doesn't WinXP recognize my floppy disk?

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

26-Jun-2003, 12:55 AM #1
Why doesn't WinXP recognize my floppy disk?
I saved my bookmarks as an html file in Win98SE and double checked it to make sure they were there.

I then reformatted my hard drive and installed WinXP and chose the NTFS file system. Now when I put in my floppy to try and import my bookmarks back into IE 6 it tells me the floppy needs to be formatted.

Is this because the Win98SE used FAT32 and now the OS is NTFS and doesn't recognize the disk?

Is there a way to fix this?

I appreciate your help

Mike
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

26-Jun-2003, 01:21 AM #2
Has nothing to do with the file system. XP can read a Fat32 file system. I have seen this problem countless times with alot of people and I have yet to see anyone with a sure fire fix for this.

26-Jun-2003, 01:23 AM #3
Thanks Squashman.

Then I have lost a lot of bookmarks I needed.

I knew I should have placed them all in an email and sent it to myself for backing up.
Senior Member with 860 posts.

26-Jun-2003, 01:23 AM #4
Hi, I don't think that can be the reason as XP NTFS system should still read Fat32 disks. It is the other way that Fat32 can't read NTFS. I think there must be another reason. Peace Mal
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

26-Jun-2003, 02:29 AM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeVB:
Thanks Squashman.

Then I have lost a lot of bookmarks I needed.

I knew I should have placed them all in an email and sent it to myself for backing up.
I have had people tell me that they put the disks back in a Win 98 machine and they work fine. So dont lose hope yet. Find someone with Win 98 and see if the disk still works.

26-Jun-2003, 02:34 AM #6
Good idea.

My son has Win98SE in the next room. lol

I tried this disk again with this system running XP with Norton's Win Doctor and it couldn't read it either but read another disk no problem. I did have the disk write enabled when I first put it into this system so I am wondering if XP somehow corrupted the data.

I'll check it on my son's system and see what it does.

26-Jun-2003, 02:10 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by LwdSquashman:
I have had people tell me that they put the disks back in a Win 98 machine and they work fine. So dont lose hope yet. Find someone with Win 98 and see if the disk still works.
I tried this today and although it shows the html explorer bookmark file in the A: drive when I click on it, it will not open it at all.

I did a scan with Norton's Disk Doctor and it said there were two FAT files on the disk and it couldn't be read. I think when I had it write enabled (Stupid me), WinXP wrote something to it and screwed it up. I guess I have my work cut out for me now looking for a few hundred bookmarks again.

Mike

26-Jun-2003, 03:24 PM #8
There's one more thing you can try (it's a long shot, but you never know ). Remove the floppy drive from your computer, and plug it into the IDE cable of your son's A drive on his computer. His system won't notice any difference. If your lucky, his win98 might be able to read it (this really shouldn't work, but it won't cost you anything to try).
You don't have to remove the A drive from his system, just unplug the IDE cable (long flat cable) from his drive and plug it into your A drive.
Good luck.

26-Jun-2003, 04:56 PM #9
Thanks for all the tips everyone but I think I will just have to start a new adventure in finding a new set of bookmarks and back them up on a CD this time through XP.

Mike
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!