Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unknown Thread/Program hanging up

(!)

Member with 160 posts.

02-Aug-2003, 03:44 PM #1
Unknown Thread/Program hanging up
Well, with intermintent but regular occurances, when I shut down or restart my system, I receive a message indicating that a job did not end and do I want to end it now.

The job is: CieroUIWndFrame.

I don't know what this is, I don't know where it comes from, and I don't know why it is on my system.

This makes me suspect that someone, something, or some entity is spying on my system. The name doesn't show up on a Google search; and it doesn't show up on any process list (even some shareware I've attempted to use to find all active processes.)

The name doesn't show up in any folder, including the root.

Does anyone have an idea?

I have Windows XP Pro; 3GHz; 160GB; ISDN 128KB; with Eithernet PC-to-PC connection between my son's PC and my own.

Any help will be very much appreciated. I'd like to know who developed it; what it does; and why its on the system.

Thanks.
Member with 2,984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Aug-2003, 05:15 PM #2
Ciero makes gliders (models) Have you run avirus scan on your system?
Member with 160 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 10:06 AM #3
I have. I have installed NAV/NIS/NSW. The NAV did not report any issue.

With all the spy software out there, that don't act as virus, and many are not detectable using spybot or other products, that I'm concerned that this is one of those hidden/augmented threads that are launched by some process that ligitimately runs on the system.

Thanks again.
Member with 160 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 10:09 AM #4
One other thing, I think that "Ciero" may be linked to the modem. But I'm not sure.
Member with 2,984 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 08:31 PM #5
Indeed, this could be the modem. Some modems run a program called PTSnoop. That alone sounds like spyware but all it is a com port detector for the modem. Before you shut down your computer, look in the TASK Manager and see if this process is running. Are you, for example, online, then you get offline and then shut down the computer right away?
Member with 2,984 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 08:37 PM #6
I found this info. It doesn't relate to your problem, but may be a step to IDing your modem as the source?? Notice the spelling is different.

Cicero V.90 Winmodem (ESS chipset)
Problem identified: September, 2000
Description: Modem fails to connect.
ati result codes:
ati1 ES2818
ati2 RXSQV90A
ati3 V4.43.022-T8-PI
ati4 ESS Technology Inc.
ati5 ESS56STU-PI
Problem: Modem frequently fails to connect.
Solution:This may be more of a chipset problem than a modem problem. ESS Technology sells chipsets and provides drivers etc. to the modem seller that implements their chipset. It is the responsibility of the reseller to provide driver/firmware/documentation and support for the modem. In this case, the modem was sold by Futureshop and the modem was built by Cicero. After searching the Internet for this modem and not getting any results, I contacted Futureshop. They indicated that they weren't aware of any web site with support for Cicero modems, drivers or information. Futureshop didn't have any drivers either. They did indicate that this was a low end modem and if there were problems, they were willing to exchange or upgrade to different modem. This modem is typical of the types that we do not recommend. It is not a name brand, it is software based, it is not firmware upgradable, and finally when you have problems there is no good solution. d below:
Member with 160 posts.

03-Aug-2003, 10:25 PM #7
No, no PTSnoop. Based on what you've said, and that it may be linked to the modem, it seems as though this may be a type of conflict between my modem (Lucent Win Modem) that came with my PC, and the TigerJet ISDN card that I had to install. (Using ISDN because I'm so far out in the sticks, they have to pipe sunlight to me.)

The TigerJet drivers are provided by Microsoft as part of the "driver inventory" of the OS. I've checked with both Microsoft and TigerJet; and I have the latest drivers. I've also checked with Compaq (aka: HP) and I've got the latest drivers for the Lucent Win Modem as well (for my model of PC).

Because of the name length, it strikes me as a "Java thread" (maybe even a thread spawned by C++) instead of the normal .EXE or .DLL type object. Tracking the parent for it is frustrating to say the least.

Your knowledge is much greater than mine for this type of research, and I really appreciate your effort.

Thanks, EMTRONICS.
Member with 2,984 posts.

04-Aug-2003, 05:31 PM #8
Well, thank you for your kind words but I don't think we've figured out your problem. You could remove the modem from your system and then see if this process that doesn't seem to end goes away. Then re-install the modem. I have never seen this and I am really curious as to why it hangs when you shut down.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

22-Aug-2003, 02:17 AM #9
I also saw that window hang on my system the other day. It happened during an abnormal shutdown, and I can't get it to show up again. I found this message thread through a Google search.

I've never had a modem installed on my system, so it's probably not that.

There's not much about 'Ciero' on the Internet, except that he was a Roman senator. That name doesn't seem to be anywhere on my hard drive. A search for 'Ciero' on Symantec's web site came up empty, and I have all the latest Microsoft & Symantec updates.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanx,
Al

Last edited by bigalgator; 24-Aug-2003 at 10:17 PM..

14-Feb-2004, 11:40 PM #10
CieroUIWndFrame hang
When my system hung up with this odd error a error box also popped up that noted that there was an error in Excel.exe

Don't know if the two are related, but thought I'd post just in case someone else has the same error.

(This is also a pretty old thread, but hey Google works wonders!)

Haven't seen the error before, hope to never see it again.

01-Apr-2004, 04:00 AM #11
CieroUIWndFrame problems
The information in this article applies to:

Office XP and Office XP Service Pack 1 on Windows 2000, Windows XP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
While shutting down a Windows 2000 or Windows XP machine with Office XP, an error popup windows appears warning that CiceroUIWndFrame is not responding. Clicking OK however will cause the shutdown sequence to continue normally.

CAUSE
This seems to be related to Office XP speech/handwriting recognition.

RESOLUTION
Remove the Office XP speech/handwriting recognition form the system

This worked for me on XP Pro with the latest MS updates. Good Luck
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!