Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer reboots before it gets to desktop

(!)

Member with 51 posts.

03-Sep-2003, 02:11 PM #1
Computer reboots before it gets to desktop
Yesterday, I was using my computer before work. didn't download anything, just checking email. everything was working fine. I get home from work, turn the computer on and I get this blue screen that says something about "if this is the first time your seeing this...." it's a detailed and long message. so, I reboot and now all it does is show a glimpse of the error and automatically reboots every time. I can't see the error long enough now to write down exactly what it says. but It said windows stopped it from causing damage to my drive and it will reboot. something along those lines. I can run safe mode with networking and have no problems. I did a virus check, and it didn't find anything. I'm not sure if my drive is going bad or what. I have a 120gb maxtor drive, it's only a little over a month old. I'm running windows xp. any ideas?
Senior Member with 710 posts.

03-Sep-2003, 02:30 PM #2
Boot to safe mode, bring up msconfig and choose a selective startup, disabling everything from starting with the OS. Reboot. If it loads normally, start adding items back one at a time until the problem recurs and you'll have identified the problem.
And/or
First you need to get the machine to stop restarting on errors so that you can get a BSOD and error message.
Go to system properties (right click MyComputer > properties) > Advanced tab > under startup and recovery click settings > under System failure make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked AND that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked. Click "OK" and reboot.

When you get your next BSOD, write down the entire STOP message.
You can post it here for help and/or check it at this resource.
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,670 posts.

03-Sep-2003, 02:35 PM #3
Since it works in safe mode, that points at a software / driver problem. Follow the advise posted above. In addition download and run spybot. Here is a link to download the program.
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1
Member with 51 posts.

04-Sep-2003, 12:20 AM #4
Ok thanks to you all I believe I have found the problem. not sure though. the error message I get (at least some of it) is this

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then at the bottom it has technical info.. which is this:

*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X548940B8,0X00000002,0X00000000,0X1EB075D)

*** ST3WOLF.SYS ADDRESS ILED075D BASE AT FLEAD000, DATESTAMP 3EABC249

So I looked up this error to that link you gave me. and it points to a driver. well, I searched for st3wolf.sys on the net and I can't find anything about it. it's in my system32 directory. not sure what this is. but can I delete this thing or is this the problem?
Member with 51 posts.

04-Sep-2003, 12:36 AM #5
ok, I deleted that st3wolf.sys and everything is working fine now. I ran spybot and it found a bunch of stuff about internet explorer having some kind of hole in it. which I don't understand because I got the patch that should have taken care of that. anyway, thanks for everything. it's working fine. I just have no idea what that st3wolf.sys could be.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,670 posts.

04-Sep-2003, 07:01 AM #6
Glad it worked for you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!