Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Screen blacks out for a second.

(!)

Member with 62 posts.

22-Sep-2003, 05:19 PM #1
Unhappy Screen blacks out for a second.
My monitor screen has turned black for about 1 second repeatedly today, at least 6 times in the past 3 or 4 hours. NAV didn't find any viruses, on a complete scan. I am running WinXP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension 8200 that is just short of a year old. I have been working on a project in MS Word, with IE6 in the background so I can check online dictionaries.
I have Cox Highspeed Internet service with two computers connected to it via a router, but no file-sharing.
Is my hard drive in danger of failing? Is my monitor about to conk out? Or is this nothing to worry about?
MastiffShack MastiffShack is offline   MastiffShack has a birthday soon!
Member with 160 posts.

22-Sep-2003, 06:17 PM #2
Any new video driver(s) installed?

I just installed updated drivers for my nVidea card, and now when I boot, and while it still doing back ground stuff, my screen will black out for about 1.25/1.5 seconds. 'Course mine only happens the once.

I'm running a WinXP Pro - w/all updates.
Member with 62 posts.

22-Sep-2003, 07:04 PM #3
Thanks for replying, but no, no new video cards.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

22-Sep-2003, 07:29 PM #4
Look for a loose connection to the video card and/or monitor. Wiggle the plug on the video card to see if it flickers. Rap on the side of the monitor and see if that causes the problem.
Member with 62 posts.

22-Sep-2003, 09:00 PM #5
Thank you for answering. The connections appear to be all right and rapping does nothing. I'm not sure what the plug on the video card is, unless you mean the plug on the cable from the monitor, where it goes into the computer. I am not familiar with the insides.
I've been writing down the times when I noticed a flicker: 3:40, 3:50, 4:08, 4:23, 4:38, 5:10...can't see any pattern there. I have been saving to a zip disk every few sentences (am in the middle of a horrendous technical translation and afraid to lose anything) and am wondering whether the zip drive could be engaging, unbidden, in some activity and causing the flickering. I don't know much about these things. Waaaah!
Junior Member with 14 posts.

24-Sep-2003, 09:53 PM #6
Black Screen
My partner and I both got new computers with Windows 2000 and all the latest upgrades, we both got black screens at odd times!! We had it back and low and behold the problem was the modum was not good enough for the computer. we updated the modum and problem solved. It only went black when we were on the net, might be a different issue, but something to look out for.
Member with 62 posts.

25-Sep-2003, 12:00 AM #7
Thanks. Today there were no black-outs, but if they come back, I will inquire at the store where I bought my cable modem. It's a recent model, though, so I am presuming that it is up to date.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!