Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

a weird black line on my screen

(!)

Member with 86 posts.

29-Sep-2003, 08:30 PM #1
Question a weird black line on my screen
ok, this is confusing the heck out of me.

on my screen is a black line approximately a pixel thick that runs horizontally over everything.

When I change my screen resolution (changing it from 1280x1024 to 1152x864 and back again) it disappears.

It shows back up roughly about once week in differnt places (closer to bottom, closer to top, smack dab in the middle, etc.) This has been happening for months. Doesn't affect my work all that much. I am just a little curious as to what causes it.

Anyone else experiencing something like this?
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 8,909 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Sep-2003, 07:55 AM #2
My guess is that you have a TFT screen. This is the connections on the edge of the screen either getting dirty or something.
Member with 86 posts.

30-Sep-2003, 08:50 AM #3
What is a TFT screen? and whatever it is I am positive that my screen is CRT. I didn't buy into that flatscreen craze
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 8,909 posts.

30-Sep-2003, 10:09 AM #4
Thin Film Transistor - laptop screens.
I thought you might have one as this is a common fault
Member with 86 posts.

30-Sep-2003, 07:18 PM #5
Oh, ok. Sorry. I guess I should have specifided my screen when I first made the post. ....TFT's? I thought there where just LCD's And CRT's. I learned something new today!
Member with 4,312 posts.

28-Dec-2005, 11:07 PM #6
I never did figure this out. The line came back a few times, but after switching over to XP I didnt see it anymore. No clue as to what caused it.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Dec-2005, 12:07 AM #7
I'm guessing it's a problem with your video board, likely some memory issue. It could be drivers as well, have you tried updating the drivers?
Member with 4,312 posts.

29-Dec-2005, 02:04 AM #8
Thanx John, but I posted this thread a long time ago; back when I thought music was free and that Win2k was the supperior OS. The Vid card, along with itīs drivers, are long gone. I was just commenting that after all this time I still dont know what caused that line.

I think your right though. That card always gave me problems. I bet it was a problem with that card.

Could you mark this solved for me John?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!