Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Error message loading setupreg.hiv on XP Pro set up

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

27-Oct-2003, 12:00 PM #1
Error message loading setupreg.hiv on XP Pro set up
I am doing a clean install of XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 8200 PC. The drive has been formatted and I am using the XP Pro setup disk. About halfway through setup I get an error message that says "setupreg.hiv cannot be loaded. error message 4111."

The setup disks were downloaded from Microsoft. I've tried booting from the XP CD (OEM version), but can't seem to get it to work. I have changed my boot sequence to boot from CD, but no go, so back to using the setup disks.

I have searched the net for days and have found nothing. Anyone here know anything about this? Also, should I be using a XP bootdisk instead of the startup disks?

Thanks,
teejo
Member with 1,546 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Nov-2003, 10:43 AM #2
terrij123,

Does your bios recognize your CD-ROM?

I am assuming it is set as slave, should be listed in first setup (bios)screen.

Is this the Boot Disk you are using?
Junior Member with 2 posts.

01-Nov-2003, 11:39 AM #3
ratchet,

Thanks for your response. Yes to both.

I did finally get it to boot and install from the XP CD. The boot sequence was set up correctly in BIOS, but I hadn't realized that it would look to my DVD-ROM drive (as Primary Slave) instead of the CD-ROM drive, which it what it was doing. Placing the XP CD in the DVD-ROM drive was all it took and it booted right up.

I knew it would turn out to be something amazingly simple -- always does when you are pulling your hair out, but really this was so obvious I couldn't believe it. I felt like such a moron...but isn't that the Microsoft way?

terrij123
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!