Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to have multiple instances of Windows Media Player

(!)

Member with 405 posts.

26-Dec-2003, 06:37 PM #1
How to have multiple instances of Windows Media Player
I was wondering if anyone knows how to have multiple instances of windows media player running at the same time? Because if you have a list already going and click on a music file, media player closes out what you have playin' and opens a whole different instance of itself. There's got to be some way of having multiple instances of windows media player at the same time. Thanx in advance for any help on this.

marcg
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

26-Dec-2003, 09:04 PM #2
How do you listen to more than one song at a time?
Senior Member with 1,062 posts.

26-Dec-2003, 09:51 PM #3
Two songs.... one for each ear.

Sorry
Computer Specs
Member with 7,779 posts.

Experience: Indeterminate
27-Dec-2003, 03:05 AM #4
I wasn't able to open more than one instance with Media Player 9, but I could do it with Media Player 6.4, and hear two mp3s at once....rather confusing, perhaps my selections were poor choices..

This v6.4 player is named 'mplayer2' and is in the C:/I386 folder, at least on my version WinXP Home.

Click START>RUN type: mplayer2
(if that doesn't work, you may have to BROWSE to C:/I386 to find the file 'mplayer2.exe' the first time)

Repeat START>RUN for multiple players, then use each player to open your selection(s). But you shouldn't have to type mplayer2 again, it should be in the drop down list, or show in the RUN window.
Computer Specs

27-Dec-2003, 11:59 AM #5
My question is the same, why would you want more than one instance?
Member with 405 posts.

28-Dec-2003, 03:58 AM #6
Wow! Ok, I think someone is way off here in their interpretation of what I'm asking. I'm not trying to listen to two songs at the same time. Although I do know what you mean by this.

I'm simply saying for instance, you have a list built in media player. Then say, you click on another song, and what happens is, your list gets closed out and now only this ONE song that you clicked on is playing, and your list that you had before is gone because you didn't save it and now you have to rebuild it again.

Media player needs to be able to hold onto your list and still play the song you may have clicked on, but not play both lists at the same time obviously.

Hope this is clearer now. Thanx

marcg

Last edited by marcg; 28-Dec-2003 at 04:06 AM..
Computer Specs

28-Dec-2003, 12:37 PM #7
I suspect you have to save your list if you want to go back to it. FWIW, WinAmp allows you to Queue a song up onto the current list, then you can just delete it after you're done.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

28-Jun-2008, 03:21 PM #8
I just had to register to vent over the attitude here. What should have been the tone was "WHY should microsoft prevent people from running multiple instances" - not this tone of "well you shouldn't be doing that." Not being able to do that is one of the reasons I dumped that crap bloatware a long time ago, and am now forced to use freeware like Mpui/mplayer/vlc to do among other things this. Often I *view* several different streams at once. Like one where i'm keeping an eye on one stream, but wish to view another feed to see when some stage appearance goes live - you can't do that with windows media crap player because it only allows you to open one instance.
I hope the incompetent fools at Microsoft will eventually fix it, but then they seem to have removed more and more functionality from the old 6.4 even simple functionality like pressing 'm' for mute and introduce all kinds of junk.
Grrr.
Anyway, so long.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,237 posts.

28-Jun-2008, 06:10 PM #9
also, u can play a song & scroll thru ur library & add more songs 2 ur now playing list, even save it as a playlist if u like or not.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!