Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to permanently adjust Brightness on Windows Media Player

(!)

Member with 68 posts.

02-Jan-2004, 04:34 AM #1
How to permanently adjust Brightness on Windows Media Player
I've got the newest version of Windows Media Player 9 series on my XP Home edition. The video is very dark, even though my monitor Brightness is set to 100%. I know that when I have media actually playing, I can go to: View/Enhancements/Video Settings/ and set the Brightness to a higher setting, and this works fine. The only problem, is that when that media stops playing, the Brightness setting resets to the default, which is too dark. Besides being a hassle to set the Brightness where I want it every single time I use the Media Player, if I go to a web site that has a built-in Windows Media Player, there is no way for me to adjust that video, which is also always too dark. So I need to know how to adjust the Brightness setting on Windows Media Player so that it won't automatically reset to the default. Any ideas?
somak_de somak_de is offline somak_de has a Profile Picture
Member with 173 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jan-2004, 08:38 AM #2
i had that problem too. unfortunately there is no way to permanently increase the brightness of wmp. but you can try two things:
1: to upgrade your video card driver. see if that helps
2: download this ffdshow codec
http://flow.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...w-20020617.exe
increse the brightness from the configuration. that will help surely for mpeg files.
let me know
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
02-Jan-2004, 12:18 PM #3
Depends what card you have, but try going to Display Properties > Settings, Advanced tab. Most manufacturer's drivers put an overlay control in these settings and they stay put once set.

What video card?
Member with 68 posts.

02-Jan-2004, 06:03 PM #4
I have an Nvidia Riva TNT, and it does have a setting called Gamma, which lightens the display. I get there by right clicking on my desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced/Color Correction. This affects all the display except the Media Player, so that's not a solution, since my general display is fine; it's just the playback on the Media Player that is too dark.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
03-Jan-2004, 12:46 AM #5
The gamma doesn't affect the DirectX overlay of the media player except generally, as you know.

The RIVA TNT is supported by this driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_53.03

as you can see in the release notes:
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/5...k_53.03.v3.pdf

It appears from the user's guide that DirectX windows may have a separate color adjustment, but with an older card like that one, you may not have that option:
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/5...nd_Edition.pdf

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!