Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dumprep.exe

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

26-Jan-2004, 10:30 PM #1
Dumprep.exe
Hi everyone,

Would anyone have a solution for dumprep.exe running my cpu bandwidth up to 100%? I can't get it get it to shut down either in task manager. Please help my machine is a slug!

Thanks
Junior Member with 11 posts.

01-Feb-2004, 03:32 AM #2
dumprep.exe - me too
i too seem to experience the dumprep.exe problem slowing my computer to a crawl, at times even stopping it completely. and like you, i can't seem to terminate the process via contol, alt, delete either. the only thing that seems to help is to restart the system. anybody know anything about this mysterious process? what it is, what causes it, and most importantly - how to prevent or avoid it from ever starting?
beau
Member with 17,584 posts.

01-Feb-2004, 04:23 AM #3
dumprep.exe

Process File: dumprep or dumprep.exe

Process Name: Dump Reporting Tool

Description: Microsoft provided Windows Error Dump Reporting Tool that creates memory dump reports that you can send back to Microsoft for further analysis.

The tool is found on Windows XP/2003.

But why is it running? Thats the question...
Junior Member with 11 posts.

01-Feb-2004, 04:56 AM #4
thanks kiwiguy. would you happen to be familiar with any common reasons for dumprep.exe initializing or running? anything that you know of which is known to cause it to start? or at least what types of occurrences could bring it about? thanks much for your quick response.
beau
Junior Member with 1 posts.

02-Feb-2004, 01:22 PM #5
it starts e.g. everytime a program doesn't answer and you choose to terminate it from the ctrl+alt+del taskmanager. It loads up information about why and how the program tilted. It allso stores bulks of information on your computer you can't see, but the stuff it sends you usually have a chance to see. So it's Windows official spyware, and I don't know a way to stop it.
fallout55 fallout55 is offline   fallout55 has a birthday soon!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

06-Feb-2004, 12:16 AM #6
I saw this thread while searching for a solution to my "dumprep" problem. I have been having dumprep exe stopping up my system all the time. I just spotted this solution while searching...

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...tasklist_d.htm

" DUMPREP creates memory dump reports that you can send to Microsoft if you answer "Yes" when prompted to send such reports. In our experience this entry only shows up for the first time after your PC has experienced a Windows XP "dump" crash, or an Office XP or Internet Explorer 6 crash where you were prompted about sending the crash results to Microsoft.

Recommendation :
It is our experience that having Error Reporting set to ON only causes more crashes. The mind boggles at this : in both Netscape and Internet Explorer our experience shows that if you turn error reporting ON, you will crash often in either browser, if not sometimes always !! You’ve guessed it, avoid Error Reporting like the plague. In both Windows XP and Windows 2003 turn it OFF by opening the SYSTEM icon in the Control Panel, choosing the ADVANCED tab, and then clicking on Error Reporting."
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-May-2004, 07:29 PM #7
WinTasks Process Library

dumprep - dumprep.exe - Process Information
Process File: dumprep or dumprep.exe
Process Name: Dump Reporting Tool
Description: Microsoft provided Windows Error Dump Reporting Tool that creates memory dump reports that you can send back to Microsoft for further analysis. The tool is found on Windows XP/2003.
Company: Microsoft Corp.
System Process: Yes
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
Common Errors: N/A

Additional Information: For more information about dumprep (dumprep.exe) and other Windows processes Order WinTasks 4 Professional!

MY SOURCE:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/...brary/dumprep/

When your computer crashes, dumprep.exe runs on the reboot because it scan for errors. It scans your system files, which is why it runs your computer down so bad. In the registry, it should be one of the "run once" files...if you go to start then run and type regedit, you should be able to remove it from the list to keep it from running...I only know this because I'm having trouble with it crashing my computer as well, and I looked it up on google. I've not actually tried messing around with my registry...I wouldn't suggest taking my advice, even...but that's what I read...check out:

http://www.talkroot.com/archive/topic/17499-1.html

I'll post more when I find more info.

you know the system error reporting that xp does after reboot when it says "send error report" That's what dumprep does. it's the program that scans your system files (hijackthis calls it Kernal Fault Check [I remember this b/c the initials remind me of kentucky fried chicken, not because I'm good with computers... T_T; ]). After it scans, it generally stops using system resources, of course, that's only if your computer survives the scanning...apparently there is a way to disable this by turning off debugging in the system (through control panel) thingy...hopefully this helps you...I'm not sure if it helped me yet...I haven't tried...and my computer hasn't crashed again yet...^^; happy me!

Last edited by Ahlsorahna; 10-May-2004 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: gotta add something
Computer Specs
Member with 16,270 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-May-2004, 08:27 PM #8
First please get Spybot S&D to clear out most of the spyware.

Short tutorial and download link here:
http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

Fix everything SpybotSD labels in red.

Then after reboot:
Download 'Hijack This to its own folder http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Feb-2007, 04:12 PM #9
Fallout55 has it right; it used to do the same to my XP too; in fact it used to take up 100% of my memory so evrthing froze up.

I switched it off (as in fallout55 instructions) via control panel; dumprep means dump a (error) report to microsoft. It wont help YOU any, it may help THEM make better programs. But as the leeches want £40.00 a pop to answer an EMAIL if THEIR program messes up they can go to hades. I wont lift a hair of a little finger to help them. I come to TechGuy now if I have a problem with windows (had no problems since switching it off)

edit: DOH! this is a 2004 post! I am sure Tiorum isnt still waiting for replies...

Last edited by mac the fork; 15-Feb-2007 at 04:19 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!