Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

BSOD STOP:0x0000007B(0xF7C20640,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

(!)

Member with 38 posts.

06-Mar-2004, 12:28 PM #1
BSOD STOP:0x0000007B(0xF7C20640,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
Blue screen issue that I never heard of before.
I getting a STOP:0x0000007B(0xF7C20640,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

AMD 1.5GHz
480 RAM
Newer 80 gig using XP home hanging up
Older 60 gig with XP pro backup

It started from what I now know as the Stoned.Angelina bootdisk virus that I got from an old inspection equipment computer. Thanks Norton 2004 for catching that 1995 virus via floppy. What I did not know most likely made my problems worse.

To start, the computer was rebooting 5 sec after seeing the XP logo. Sometime it would flash the BSOD for a split second.
I did find the virus via rescue disk from an older version of Norton. Following Norton instructions I fdisk /mbr to both of my drives.
Now the XP home hang on the BSOD all of the time. Ive tried to reinstall XP home and it is now lost in between installations with the BSOD at reboot.

Swapping the drive I can boot up under the 60 gig XP pro and access my data- thankfully. Scanning with Norton everything is ok. Chkdsk /f found a 16 kb in a bad sector. Im now able to access the recovery console booting from the XP home drive.

I would like to use this drive with data intact- finish installing XP home.
Or boot from my second XP pro drive and access my OE email account, address book and messages with other data. Back it up properly and format the thing if I cant fix it.

Id love some input on how to fix it or accessing my OE data from 1 drive to another.

Please advice
Burke
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
06-Mar-2004, 12:49 PM #2
There is a lot of discussion of the error in various articles available through the first link. However what I think I would do with that error is to boot to the recovery console if available, or install it if not and run the various commands that might repair this:

chkdsk /r
fixmbr
fixboot

and possibly bootcfg

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7b

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q307654&
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,779 posts.

06-Mar-2004, 12:55 PM #3
0x0000007B = Inaccessible Boot Disk Error.

Here is the link for the error. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q324103 There was a lot of listings for the error, but all that I saw said the IBD error. The link is to a general troubleshooting for the IBD error. If you had Windows NT on there previously, you may want to look at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q122926

As for the Outlook Express, which version are you using. I know that if you can find the file you should be able to import it. I don't remember the directory of hand as I'm at school on a MAC but I think it's in %system root%\Documents and Settings\%user%\Local Settings\Application Data. I believe the file is a .WAB

But I believe you can still use your drive if you can sucessfully troubleshoot it.
Member with 38 posts.

06-Mar-2004, 01:05 PM #4
Quote:
There is a lot of discussion of the error in various articles available through the first link.
I don't see where they are discussing my issue. My STOP does not state "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" but "check for virus, remove any new drives or controllers, check HD for proper config and terminated. run CHDSK/ r. "

I've tried chkdsk /r and not ready to use fixmbr or fixboot without some assurances or instructions that I'm digging a deeper hole. From what I've read the fix command can make you file inaccessible even though the file are still there?

I'm not sure about the teminated statment and if it applies.

keep them coming- thanks
Burke
Computer Specs

06-Mar-2004, 01:47 PM #5
The Stop error STOP:0x0000007B is generic for "inaccessible boot device" for which there can be many different causes; I didn't look at the other aspects of stop error which might narrow it down, I don't think it does.

But my feeling is that you ran fdisk /mbr and that might have mucked things up since it is not intended for XP installations. You may need to run the XP version and also check the boot.ini file to see if it is pointing to the proper boot volume.

And actually this article does describe your case somewhat:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122926

The XP version here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

MS search string:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...mDays=&InCC=on
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

06-Mar-2004, 02:02 PM #6
The links we provided has the information you need.

Ah... Looks like Rollin Dog beat me twice in a row there

I agree with Rog with the error code. The code is the generic code for the I.B.D error.

The article numbers I gave you should have provided you with enough information to fix the error. There is more links on the bottom of the Windows XP link for further information if required.
Member with 38 posts.

06-Mar-2004, 03:45 PM #7
Well I've been through and through all of the links and the only thing I haven't tried is
1. fixmbr as no one can assure me my data will be safe
or
2. format the hard drive and start over.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 324103 refer my situation to

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 316401 "STOP 0x0000007B" Error Message When You Restart Your Windows XP-Based Computer / says to reinstall XP and as per instructions I can't. reboot gets BSOD. option 2 is format hard drive

Any other ideals or assured way of solving this problem.

Burke
Member with 38 posts.

06-Mar-2004, 07:39 PM #8
Found a SMART drive failure on Maxtor diag. software. Replacing the drive.

Thanks for the input.

Burke
Computer Specs

06-Mar-2004, 07:49 PM #9
Sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't fear about trying fixmbr; it won't destroy data you can already access by putting the drive in another system; it is a recommended procedure for boot sector viruses, you just tried the wrong version of it.

Nonetheless the only guarantee offered around here is our usual "money back" one

07-Mar-2004, 12:23 AM #10
Sorry we couldn't help you
Member with 38 posts.

07-Mar-2004, 09:45 PM #11
But you still might.

I've mirror the problematic 80 gig drive to my new 120 gig. It boots with the same issue.
I have chkdisk, fixboot, fixmbr on both drives and the same issue exists. I have submitted that I must reload from scratch all of my software and data, but at least I have my data. I just have to hand load everything. But now I can try to solve this issue for the point that I'm the human and it is the machine.

So this is a challenge to all that reads these threads, can you solve this issue and recover my data without loosing the windows installation. Which I think is lost even though XP installation recognizes a OS already exists.

Burke
Computer Specs

08-Mar-2004, 12:37 AM #12
There are a couple of possiblilties depending on how much effort and possibly even money you want to invest in it, with no guarantees.

One is to try a manual registry restore; the other might be to use a repartitioning tool like Partition Magic to repartion the drive without losing data: this one is risky and not free.

The Microsoft XP article points to the method of restoring the registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324103

Here is an example of where I've responded to someone else with a different problem calling for the same radical measure:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread...56#post1483956

I can't vouch for the other approach, but I think I've seen a couple of reported successes for it when researching the stop message in Google > Groups:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=Google+Search
Member with 38 posts.

08-Mar-2004, 06:14 PM #13
Thanks for the leads. I'll try to get to them soon. FYI, my image software say the drive in unformatted even though the data is accessible. The new formated 129 gig drive was also being seen as unformatted. Is this for the partition being screwed up? And would this change the approach. I'm willing to put some time into it for the point of solving it.

Burke
Computer Specs

08-Mar-2004, 06:26 PM #14
It does sound like the partition information is not being seen. If so this would tend to rule out any help from the registry I believe.

Whether a partitioning utility like Partition Magic can overcome this I'm not sure -- I don't have any personal experience with it.

Perhaps someone else here can offer a guess or some experience.
Member with 38 posts.

09-Mar-2004, 08:45 PM #15
Final update. I think.

Good news.
Downloaded Maxtor's MaxBlaster 3 and used the fix MBR in disk utilities. The disk now boots back into the window setup screen.

More good news.
Checking my error code on-line at Maxtor I see my disk is still under warranty. They are sending out a replacement one. I'll use the spare rebuilt 80 gig to back up the new 120 gig.

Bad news, I lost my program configuration. must reload all software.

Thanks to everyone who took a look into this and I hope my results helps another if you find yourself in the same position.

Burke
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!