Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How will I get rid of the Compress Old Files?

(!)

atish_aa atish_aa is offline atish_aa has a Profile Picture
Member with 261 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-May-2004, 01:47 PM #1
Exclamation How will I get rid of the Compress Old Files?
cleanmgr.exe that is the Disk Cleanup Utility used to hang while scanning Compress Old Files and thareafter scanning of the Compress Old Files was stopped by applying a registry tweak and now Disk Cleanup works perfectlty well but does not scan and clean the Compress Old Files!

I believe that the Compress Old Files on my system must be occupying a hell lot of space on my hard disk!

If this is true (if not true then how are the Compress Old Files cleaned up?) then someone please tell me how to clean up the Compress Old Files and other useless files that are no longer required on my hard-disk?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,245 posts.

03-May-2004, 06:16 PM #2
See if this works for you:

1. Type Regedit in Start - Run
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volum e Caches
3. Open "Compress Old Files" folder
4. Delete all files in this folder
5. Reboot
6. Run Disk Cleanup
Member with 78 posts.

03-May-2004, 06:47 PM #3
PC_Wiz, when you say Open "Compress Old Files" folder and Delete all files in this folder, I'm sure you mean the same as this, but I just wanted to clarify it for our friend...

Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volum eCaches

On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.

Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volum eCaches
Delete the Compress old files registry key.
Member with 78 posts.

03-May-2004, 06:55 PM #4
Also, if you remove this file: "compact.exe" < File Compress Utility from C:\WINDOWS\system32 the entry for Compress Old Files will disapear altogether from your Disk Cleanup Utility
atish_aa atish_aa is offline atish_aa has a Profile Picture
Member with 261 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-May-2004, 12:35 AM #5
If I delete the compact.exe then, will I then be able to compress files in future or will I be able to use the Disk Compress feature on the context menu on right clicking the C: drive. or any other file.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!