Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

trayctl.exe error message

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-May-2004, 09:26 PM #1
trayctl.exe error message
I have Windows XP Home Edition operating system. However, every time I log on to my internet provider, I get the following error message:

trayctl.exe - unable to locate component: "This application has failed to start because psystray.pyd was not found, Re-installing the application may fix this problem". Then I click the "OK" button and the error message disappears and my internet continues to work find. How can I get rid of this message. I've called the internet provider and they took me through a few steps, including resetting the internet defaults etc, and I've tried to locate this "psytray.pyd application" to install but, could not find this particular application.

Can you please provide me with some information pertaining to possibly eliminating this problem? Thanks.
Junior Member with 8 posts.

10-May-2004, 09:37 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvdj
I have Windows XP Home Edition operating system. However, every time I log on to my internet provider, I get the following error message:

trayctl.exe - unable to locate component: "This application has failed to start because psystray.pyd was not found, Re-installing the application may fix this problem". Then I click the "OK" button and the error message disappears and my internet continues to work find. How can I get rid of this message. I've called the internet provider and they took me through a few steps, including resetting the internet defaults etc, and I've tried to locate this "psytray.pyd application" to install but, could not find this particular application.

Can you please provide me with some information pertaining to possibly eliminating this problem? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
11-May-2004, 03:12 AM #3
Neither of those programs are XP programs. they belong to something that was installed (and probably later uninstalled).

Download and install the Startup Control panel.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Then, go to the Control Panel and click on the new "Startup" applet. Look through the tabs to see if you can find where the tray control (trayctl.exe) starts and delete it. It will also tell you what folder it is or used to be in so you can tell possibly what program it was associated with.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

30-Mar-2005, 10:44 AM #4
I have run into the same scenario with one exception. I can make my dial-up connection and I get this message and then I can get on to use my email but can not view any web pages. I get the "Page Not Found" page. It appears that my Earthlink SW is OK with the email, but using IE for the web access is the problem. Do you believe that this same fix should work with this specific problem?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

03-Jun-2005, 09:47 AM #5
Are you guys all using web accelerator software? If so try uninstalling that and setting the proxy back to normal. A customer of ours has called and said that he uninstalled our web accelerator and it worked.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2005, 08:32 AM #6
Trayctl.exe
I just got this same message when I deinstalled my accelerator program that AT&T Worldnet is using. It is a part of the Accelerator from Propel. Look through support.propel.com this might shed some light on it.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: beginner intermediate
25-Jun-2006, 02:22 PM #7
I have read and performed the aforementioned tasks and am certain this error us caused because I tried to delete my accelerator. I am contacting support.propel via email. THANKS SO MUCH. I hope this works.

Last edited by bradfork; 25-Jun-2006 at 05:34 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!