Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"cannot find the file specified" "during the installation of the device."

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Sep-2007, 06:48 PM #31
Smile Registered just to say thanks
The best solution I have ever come across. Was trying to insall my Roland Fantom X. I registered to thank you, and also put the keyboard name on the page to help other roland owners who search for the solution to the problem.

12-Oct-2007, 02:44 PM #32
U Made my Day
Thanks a lot, this resolved my issue
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 568 posts.

12-Oct-2007, 03:08 PM #33
Quote:
This key is often used by installers to execute post-reboot programs, but sometimes they accidentally delete this key.
Any idea's on what might be doing this? Cleaner or something? I've never had this happen myself but its quite interesting nonetheless. One person seemed to indicate it happening after malware removal. Perhaps someone using a registry cleaner, never a good idea.

It may also be worth noting that you can acquire tools that will protect certain keys from being manipulated or changed or even deleted. Now if this was being bypassed I'd be even more intrigued.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Nov-2007, 01:25 AM #34
Thanks David
I also registered just to say thank you. I tried to install an usb sky caddie for a customer and it never worked. I disabled the firewall, any security software, did a complete check over the dell website, tried a dozen driver websites, but nothing worked. I almost gave up and brought the Dell laptop back without fixing the problem. The last try was to google the problem and I came across your fix. Wow, after adding the RunOnce key, everything was working perfectly.
Thanks David for that tip, its a lifesaver.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Dec-2007, 01:44 AM #35
Struggled for hours trying to install a Samsung ML-2510 printer until I found your tip. Thanks. I was minutes away from packing the printer up and returning it to the store.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,549 posts.

04-Jan-2008, 06:06 PM #36
Quote:
Any idea's on what might be doing this? Cleaner or something? I've never had this happen myself but its quite interesting nonetheless.
There are several possibilities - and I haven't spent the time investigating them to find out which.

Anything under the RunOnce key is supposed to be run and then deleted.
I don't know who deletes the entry. It may be MS. It may be the program that gets run. It may actually be both. Whoever is doing it is not doing the correct check to see if the key exists ( I believe) and is deleting a none existing keyvalue and is therefore deleting the Runonce instead.

But don't take my word for it.

Experience: Einstein
20-Jan-2008, 04:07 PM #37
Another big thank you!

After decades of working with computers I'm amazed that we still have to deal with crap like this.

Engineers who create uninformative and misleading error messages like this (calling a registry key a "file" and not including the name of the key) should never be allowed near a keyboard again!

Tom

p.s. In my case I suspect it was either a NetGear or Buffalo wireless installer that was the culprit.

27-Apr-2008, 06:12 PM #38
Thank you very much for sharing this useful tip! It fixed a problem where a Sagem F@st 800 USB ADSL modem would not install properly.

Matt.

Experience: G33k
30-Apr-2008, 02:31 PM #39
Put another mark in the "Registered just to say thanks" column. A buddy spent all day yesterday trying to fix this issue with an HP All-In-One and this took care of it.

Good thing too, I think he might have lost it while working on it today.

Thanks again.

08-Jul-2008, 05:31 AM #40
Another "Registered just to say "Thank You"!"
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!