Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Setup.exe will not run on Windows XP

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jul-2004, 12:09 PM #1
Unhappy Setup.exe will not run on Windows XP
I am trying to do a desktop installation of a software program that is located on our server. The desktop installation is located in a folder on the network drive. When I get to the file, setup.exe, I double click on it but nothing happens. It does go into "processes" in the task manager. It lists memory usage, but no cpu is used.

I installed this desktop on 24 other computers with no problem. This is the only one with this problem. Why? What can I do to get this to run?

18-Sep-2004, 03:27 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbach
I am trying to do a desktop installation of a software program that is located on our server. The desktop installation is located in a folder on the network drive. When I get to the file, setup.exe, I double click on it but nothing happens. It does go into "processes" in the task manager. It lists memory usage, but no cpu is used.

I installed this desktop on 24 other computers with no problem. This is the only one with this problem. Why? What can I do to get this to run?
I am having a similar problem. For some reason, I can't run many setup.exe files. the setup.exe for mysql, adobe primere, etc. I double click on it, i see the hour glass/pointer curser briefly, and then nothing happens. anybody have an idea how to solve this problem.
Baby-Bug Baby-Bug is offline Baby-Bug has a Profile Picture
Member with 492 posts.

06-Oct-2004, 01:10 PM #3
I am finding the exact same problem...if its called setup.exe then it just does nothing...and I have tried most solutions. Even posted in hardware regarding this...

Anyone at all have any ideas?
Member with 360 posts.

06-Oct-2004, 03:30 PM #4
I don't know if you've tried this yet, but there's a reg file you can download here to restore EXE file associations.

24-Jun-2007, 02:23 AM #5
nmindexing service
I had a problem like this, where some setup.exe will not open or run. I tried some solutions on the web like...checking the registry and the enviroment var and i tried installing windows installer again.Also there is a process called ntvdm.exe running but it seems a though they are all stuck.

The solution for me:
1. safe mode was a work around to install the setup.exe progam.

2. there was a process called nmindexing running in my services.(I disabled this sevice and restarted) It solved the problem for me. there was even another program that never wanted to initialize propperly and now it did.

It was strange as this indexing service came with the preinstalled oem of this computer right from the suppliers.

ps. go to start, run, and type in services.msc to get to the services screen and disable the nmindexing service.

pss. if this does not work then try to stop some other services and see if its not one of them stopping it from running.
Computer Specs

30-Apr-2008, 01:08 PM #6
Hi heimarungerer,

I'm having the same issue here. Safe mode does work for me, but I have a multi disk install I have to do for a tax library and I'm using virtualdrive (Drive emulator) to load these libraries to. Problem is in safe mode Virtualdrive doesn't load so I can't tell it I need it to install to say Drive R:\ & S:\, cause the file path is not found.... It's driving me bonkers.

I checked under services and don't have a nmindexing service listed.

I also checked group policies to make sure something didn't get added to it blocking setup.exe files to run, but no dice there.

any other suggestions you could think of?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

30-Apr-2008, 01:26 PM #7
Nmindexing service is not related to Windows. It indexes multimedia files for Nero. It can use too much CPU. Nero seems new at this type of service and it does not fade into the background as it should.

Please don't hijack other peoples' threads. If you have a problem, even similar, please start your own and link to this one if you think it relevant.

Do other exe's run? If you had an infected setup.exe and your antivirus tagged that file name, you will not be able to run any file with that name. Try turning off your AV (which may require disabling the services and rebooting since they can be stubborn to shut down completely) or renaming the file.

I don't know if all AV's do this, but this has been my experience with files on my desktop and AVG.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!