Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do you rename a hyperlink???

(!)

Member with 39 posts.

03-Jul-2004, 11:26 PM #1
How do you rename a hyperlink???
I have been trying to figure it out, seems like it should be something simple. Often I see in a post where someone sends someone to a specific site to download something, but instead of it saying go to www.techguy.org it will just say click here and it will bring them to the site. How do you do this??? I would like to be able to do it in e-mails where I am letting others know about sites I have found. I can't figure it out!!!???

Last edited by annatmc; 04-Jul-2004 at 01:11 AM..
Member with 437 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jul-2004, 11:34 PM #2
It's really simple!

When you are putting the link into the e-mail, just type this in..

example:

*Go to this site for help!!
<a href="http://www.techguy.com">Need Help?</a>
Member with 437 posts.

03-Jul-2004, 11:37 PM #3
The "Need Help?" after the las "close" (>) symbol gives the link it's title. As long as remember to put the "Need Help" (or whatever you want it to say) after your last close symbol, and before your (</a>), you can naem any link you want whatever you want!
Member with 437 posts.

03-Jul-2004, 11:37 PM #4
Are you familiar with how to write in HTML?
Member with 39 posts.

03-Jul-2004, 11:45 PM #5
No, I have no idea how to do any of it. Can you give me instructions in "dummy" terms??!! When do you type that stuff in? I don't understand the directions you gave me
Thanks for your help!!
Member with 437 posts.

03-Jul-2004, 11:56 PM #6
it's really simple.

Type in your message like normal. Then, when you want to add the link, just type this code into your message (make sure you remember all of the <> and the "" marks!!)

<a href="http://www.(put the address here).com (or net or whatever)">Put the name here</a>

As long as you type this code in exactly as you see it (change the address and the name though) you should have no problem!

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
Member with 39 posts.

04-Jul-2004, 01:09 AM #7
I did what you said

I was composing and e-mail I typed in <a href="http://www.aol.com">AOL</a> just to test it out. All it does it stay that way. It doesn't even put in the hyperlink or change the name. Maybe I don't understand what to do.

For instance say that I was writing an e-mail (I use AOL).
I wanted to say:
--Hey I know this really cool website check it out!--

If I wanted to have the "check it out!" lead to the website then you are saying that all I would have to do is type
<a href="http://www.imdb.com">check it out!</a> and it would replace www.imdb.com with check it out!?? I tried that and it doesn't work. Maybe I need to type it somewhere else?? What am I missing??? Sorry!!!
Member with 437 posts.

04-Jul-2004, 01:31 AM #8
I'm pretty sure the AOL doesn't allow HTML in e-mails...at least, not as a default option. Try looking in your options for aol and look for e-mail options.

There should be a box or something like that that says something like: "Allow HTML" or "Show HTML"...

Look around and let me know.
Member with 39 posts.

04-Jul-2004, 01:42 AM #9
I searched around in the mail settings, I didn't see anything but a tutorial on how to open HTML's. So I guess I will fiddle with that a little more until I find a proper setting. But I still don't know what is happening. Shouldn't your instructions work if I wanted to do this in a forum post? It doesn't work here either. Maybe you could help me do it in this forum and I could figure out the e-mail part later? I see it in these forums all the time, I should be able to do it, right? Sorry if I am being troublesome, it doesn't seem to be working for me!! I do appreciate your help, thanks again!!!
Member with 39 posts.

04-Jul-2004, 02:09 AM #10
I went into microsoft word and typed in www.techguy.org (in word it automatically makes it a link to that site). Then I right-clicked on the link and went to edit hyperlink. At the top of the box that comes up there is a box that says "Text to Display," in that box I typed "FOR HELP CLICK HERE" and it changed the name of the link! Yeah!

I then copied the hyperlink and pasted it into my e-mail--and that worked. I tried to right-click on the link the same way in AOL mail, but it gave me a different menu, without that option.

So I guess that I figured out a way to do it in my e-mail, although it seems like a lot of work that way!!!

I still would like to be able to do it the way that you are talking about. I tried to do something like that in this forum, but it doesn't work so I will keep trying it your way!! Anymore advice would be great!!! THANKS!!!
Senior Member with 1,062 posts.

04-Jul-2004, 02:24 AM #11
To do it in this forum, Reply to Thread, then click on the Insert Hyperlink icon.
(Its the picture of a globe with the chain link)
A new window will open asking you for the text to be displayed, when you have entered the text it will then ask you for the URL.
Enter the web site URL and thats it
Member with 39 posts.

04-Jul-2004, 02:26 AM #12
Thanks I will give it a try and let ya know!!!

04-Jul-2004, 02:36 AM #13
I don't use AOL but this link may be of use to you...
http://help.channels.aol.com/article...ticleId=217144
Member with 39 posts.

04-Jul-2004, 02:41 AM #14
Thanks your advice worked and I will check that site out when I get a chance!!!
Happy 4th of July!!!!

04-Jul-2004, 02:44 AM #15
Thanks for replying and good luck with AOL.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!