Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Monitor wont wake up from screen saver.

(!)

Member with 1,347 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2004, 02:58 PM #1
Monitor wont wake up from screen saver.
This is a new one for me. My friends monitor doesn't wake up when its in screen saver mode. Have ran AdAware and Spybot. I have also looked for anything funny in the properties to adjust the screen saver and power settings. I have found nothing unusual there. My friend was running an aquarium screen saver. But when changed to a windows screen saver, it did the samething again after a while. She has to shut down the PC at the power button to get her desktop back.

Any ideas?
Member with 1,347 posts.

19-Jul-2004, 04:27 PM #2
I hate these kinds of problems. Not many people have a good answer for em.
Member with 1,347 posts.

19-Jul-2004, 08:59 PM #3
Bump
Member with 2,984 posts.

19-Jul-2004, 09:57 PM #4
Yes, they can be tuff to answer. We would like to know what operating system this is? Was this screensaver one that came with Windows or one that was added later? Does this person use a wireless keyboard and or mouse? Do this person use an USB keyboard and or mouse? Is there anything plugged into the USB ports.?

I have seen this problem before, but the fix requires a bit more info than you provided.
Member with 1,347 posts.

20-Jul-2004, 10:32 AM #5
Emtronics, The computer is an hp pavilliion 751 n with Win XP Home. The screen saver she was using was something she DL about a year ago and work up until a few days ago. Now the Windows screen saver is acting up now too.
She has no extra bells or whistles as far as keyboard or mouse goes. LOL
Thanks.
Member with 2,984 posts.

20-Jul-2004, 11:15 AM #6
I downloaded a screensaver from Microsoft's Web site for Windows XP. It was a nice version of the XP logo. The thing seemed to work fine, but then, my computer wouldn't wake and when it did, it froze. I stopped using it and never had another problem even though I use a SS that was included in Windows. My point? Stop using that screensaver and see what happens....
Member with 1,347 posts.

20-Jul-2004, 12:40 PM #7
Yeah I tried that. But now the same thing happens to the Windows screen savers. The fun just never ends does it. I've went to hp site looking for help and have a few things to try there. I'll post back when I try the things they suggested.
Member with 1,347 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 01:04 PM #8
OK, here's my update on this Monitor trouble. As the process of elimination went forward, I did all the power settings and reinstalled the video drivers, then finally got fed up and reinstalled XP Home. None of it worked.

So my friend had an extended warranty and we got them on the phone and went Thu all this crap again. Now they think it's the shared video card on the motherboard. We'll see.

It's funny how it did this. You would hear a click right in the middle of doing something, then the monitor would look as if was shut off. Moving the mouse wouldn't wake it back up. But the tower light was a steady green as if to say it was still on and not in stand by mode. Then you had to manually restart the computer. When it booted back up the time for it to act up again varied.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!