Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer hangs during startup in safe mode

(!)

Member with 48 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 08:41 AM #1
Question Computer hangs during startup in safe mode
My computer (Windows XP) hangs when i start up in safe mode without networking. It will start in safe mode with networking or in normal mode. Do I have a corrupt Windows file, or is some other process causing this problem? How do I fix it?

Last edited by pete1231; 23-Jul-2004 at 08:47 AM..
Member with 84 posts.

Experience: Learning, always learning
23-Jul-2004, 12:04 PM #2
Could you supply a it more background info?

Why do you need to go to Safe Mode?
Was it a hardware failure? Software? Are you on a corporate LAN or a Home Network? Domain or Workgroup?

thanks
Member with 48 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 12:21 PM #3
This is home stand-alone computer. The first time this happened I was doing some routine maintenance. I ran a Chkdsk at startup and tried to do this in Safe mode, but the system hung in safe mode. I was able to restart the computer and run chkdsk in normal mode. I thought maybe the problem was a chkdsk problem, and not a Safe mode problem. I also have had a problem deleting a file in my CD write folder and followed someone's suggestion to start up in Safe Mode without networking and try deleting the file. Again the computer failed to start up in Safe Mode, but this time I wasn't attempting to run chkdsk. I then tried to start up in Safe Mode with networking and was successful. I was able to delete the file in the CD write folder, but it became clear that I have a problem with the Safe mode. I hope that is enough information. I'm not terribly sophisticated in my knowledge of how Windows operates behind the scenes, so I need some help figuring this one out.
Member with 84 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 03:45 PM #4
If you ran chkdsk and it found 'orphaned' files, it's possible that they are simply unavaiable. When starting normaly, or in Safe Mode with networking, the MSGina (Microsoft Graphical Indentification and Authorization) is loaded by Winlogon and is handling communications. It always should be unless, in the unlikely event you've loaded something that would change it. (i.e Novell <NWGina>, pcAnywhere <AWGina>, etc)

Open regedit (Start | Run type 'regedit' without the quotes, hit Enter)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon

GinaDLL should be MSGina. If not dbl-click GinaDLL and change the setting to MSGina
Member with 48 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 04:26 PM #5
Chrim,
Would this be a download I was conscious of, or something that downloaded without my knowing it? I have not (to my knowledge) downloaded PCAnywhere or anything from Novell. My only recent program downloads were a couple of freeware harddisk cleaner utilities from MajorGeeks.com (CCleaner and HDCleaner). But I think that I was already having this problem before I downloaded those programs. I'm not at my home computer right now. I will look for Gina with RegEdit this evening, but I'm skeptical that this is what the problem is.

peter1231
Member with 48 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 08:14 PM #6
Okay, I ran regedit and but I couldn't find MSGina.DLL or any other Gina.dll associated with the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon".

So I searched the registry to see if I could find any keys with "Gina" as part of the name. What I came up with is the following:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{60664caf-af0d-0003-a300-5c7d25ff22a0}\InProcServer32" has a value of C:\WINDOWS\System32\shgina.dll

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{0A055C02-BABE-4480-BB7B-A8EC723CE9C0}\1.0\0\win32" also has the same value C:\WINDOWS\System32\shgina.dll).

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB835732\Filelist\3" is a filename key with a value of "msgina.dll"

I haven't changed anything yet.

Does this help to identify the problem? Should shgina.dll be changed to msgina.dll?

pete1231
Member with 84 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 10:13 PM #7
The InProcServer32 handles 16-bit processor calls, dont change it or you wont be able to launch legacy apps.

Ok I'm stumped anyone else?
Member with 131 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jul-2004, 10:24 PM #8
could be some corrupted windows files. When you try to delete the file in your CD write folder, does it give you an error message?
Member with 48 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 10:52 PM #9
When I was having that problem I would just get a message stating that the file could not be deleted. But I was able to start up in Safe mode with networking and then I was able to delete the file.

I really don't think the problem I had with the corrupted file in the the CD write folder had anything to do with the Safe startup problem since I had been living with that problem for months, and this other problem showed up this past week.

I think the problem may somehow be related to running Chkdsk during a Safe startup. I saw on another forum (Annoyances.org) that someone else was experiencing the same problem under the exact same circumstances...she had run Chkdsk in Safe mode and the computer hung. She thought that every time she tried to start up in Safe mode that the computer would begin running chkdsk and then hang.

I also found in the Microsoft Knowledge Base an article describing a similar situation in which after installation of Windows XP the user may be prompted to run ScanDisk, and then would hang after ScanDisk was started. This would also happen in Safe mode. Apparently the culprit was XP was trying to load the Agp440.sys service during startup, which apparently is an incompatible video driver. Microsoft recommends disabling Agp440.sys service in the Windows Recovery Console.

I am not confident enough that this is my problem to do this yet, especially since I am not too sure what I am doing. I'm afraid I would create more problems than I would solve. I'm looking for someone with a lot more experience to give me some guidance before I proceed.

Help...

pete1231

Last edited by pete1231; 23-Jul-2004 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: Poor English
Member with 48 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 11:12 PM #10
Okay, I've got a new clue. I just tried the Safe mode startup again. The screen scrolls through all the different startup processes and drivers that are executed during the startup. The thing the computer does befor it hangs is...guess what? It attempts to load the Agp440.sys driver. But, during the Safe Mode startup with networking it successfully loads the Agp440.sys driver. Go figure. What's the difference here?

Hopefully I've now given someone enough clues to be able to figure this sucker out.

I'm about ready to try the Microsoft recommended fix. Except that the fact that the driver successfully loads during the Safe startup with networking makes me wonder if the problem isn't the driver itself, but rather something else needs to be loaded with it or it doesn't work. After all, the computer starts up fine in Normal and Safe Mode with Networking.

Any thoughts?

pete 1231
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
23-Jul-2004, 11:20 PM #11
The problem is that when you see that AGP file, it has successfully loaded. Its the next file that you don't know the name of that may be the problem.

Often, this is due to a missing vga driver for Safe Mode. Go into normal mode and go to Start. Run, and type: cmd

At the command prompt that opens, type: sfc /scannow

This will check for missing files and outdated versions. You will be asked to insert your XP CD.

See if that helps.

By the way, this is the NT kernel so chkdsk will not repair anything while Windows is running. There is no advantage to using Safe Mode since it won't fix anything there, either. You need to run it when Windows is not loaded. You can do this from the Recovery Console or in Windows, go to Start > Run, and type: chkdsk /f

The /f switch tells XP to fix errors it finds and not to just report them. You will be asked if you want to run it on boot. Choose "y".

You can also specify the drive (It will run on your system disk if you don't specify):
chkdsk C: /f

--------------------------

Install the Recovery Console as a boot option. See Help & Support.

To install Safe Mode as a boot option, add this line to your boot.ini file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safeboot Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

(with appropriate adjustments for your partition, version, and system folder).
Member with 48 posts.

23-Jul-2004, 11:30 PM #12
Thanks Elvandil, that makes sense. Question: After I insert the XP program disk, will missing files be automatically re-installed, or do I have to specify what files I want to download from the disk?

pete1231
Computer Specs

23-Jul-2004, 11:55 PM #13
It checks files and versions automatically. In fact, most people complain that it asks far too few questions and tells you far too little, You won't see much happening except a progress bar, and your HD and CD-ROM running. It checks the dllcache first (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache) and if it finds no backup of the original or an updated file, checks the CD. And it will leave without even saying, "Good-bye".

And you may have to click "Retry" anywhere from 0 to 500 times, depending how contrary sfc is feeling that day.

Do you have an ATI graphics card, by any chance?

Last edited by Elvandil; 24-Jul-2004 at 12:03 AM..
Member with 48 posts.

24-Jul-2004, 12:01 AM #14
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I thought I had done something wrong! I didn't see that it did anything other than scan. I guess the proof is in the pudding... I will now try to do a Safe Mode restart and see what happens. I'll be back in a moment and let you know how it went

pete1231
Computer Specs

24-Jul-2004, 12:05 AM #15
OK. See if vga.sys is in your C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!