Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer hangs when network/modem cable is plugged in

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Aug-2004, 08:32 AM #1
Computer hangs when network/modem cable is plugged in
A few days ago there was a bunch of power cuts and my pc was on for most of them, now when the modem cable is plugged into the computer it goes slow, and when i try to open a program, the computer freezes.

i have the little internet connection icon beside the clock, and when i click on it i see that the modem is not sending nor receiving many bytes (about 30 bytes)

I use Windows XP and have service pack 1
If you need any more info just ask.

Thanks for helping me
Member with 22,468 posts.

02-Aug-2004, 09:01 AM #2
It wouldn't be the last time one of these went bad during a a power outage. Just replaced a modem two weeks ago at someone's business for the same reason. Can you get a new one from a place that has a decent return policy (just in case it isn't the modem).

02-Aug-2004, 09:19 AM #3
its not the modem, im using it now on my other computer (this pc normally gets its internet access thru the broken pc by Internet Connection Sharing)

02-Aug-2004, 09:29 AM #4
Is this new information. That you have two computers and have already tested and confirmed that the modem is ok?

If so that would have been helpful to know from the start.

Given the new information, then you should start suspected the problem computer. Almost anything could be defective if there were multiple power problems. The easiest to do would be a repair install of XP. After that it could be almost any piece of hardware.

02-Aug-2004, 09:47 AM #5
The modem works fine, Also i think the hardware is fine too. Without the internet cable in, the pc seems to work fine (A little slow starting up but other than that its ok)

I was thinking of doing a reinstall of windows... Would doing a repair install make me lose any data? I have two hard drives, and would prefer it if i could keep my personal stuff on the second drive, would that be possible?

02-Aug-2004, 09:55 AM #6
Is the computer set for DHCP or do you have static IP information entered.

It simply may be that the computer is waiting a long time to get the information.

You might try that last option first. Sometimes DHCP isn't always the most reliable.
Member with 141 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2004, 10:00 AM #7
Looks like we're having a little trouble with the "modem" misnomer...

mr_hank: The "modem" you're describing, is it a cable or DSL modem, that connects to a router or hub or has multiple ethernet ports on itself, and you have ethernet cables going to the two machines?

Or... you have your cable or DSL "modem" connected using USB and an ethernet cable goes between the PC's?

(I'm betting #2...)

02-Aug-2004, 10:00 AM #8
I am sure it is set for DHCP, but i dont see why it would be waiting a long time for information, because this computer seems to work fine..

btw, would i lose any data from my 2nd hdd if i did a repair install?
Member with 141 posts.

02-Aug-2004, 10:12 AM #9
A repair install doesn't lose data. It may cause associations to disappear and previously installed programs not to function correctly, but it does not delete data, even from the first drive.
Member with 141 posts.

02-Aug-2004, 10:13 AM #10
And that (generally) will only occur if the bad install's registry is corrupted...

02-Aug-2004, 10:15 AM #11
thats a great relief, thank you both.
i'll try it tomorrow

thanks again for the help
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!