Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

All Outlook Appointments - Disappeared

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Aug-2004, 05:28 PM #1
All Outlook Appointments - Disappeared
HELP!!! I have MS Outlook 2000. Yesterday, ALL my appointments, except annual recurring events were GONE - past, present and future. My contacts were NOT affected. I spoke to Chapura, and they said, "Sorry, it's gone". I believe Spyware interfered with Outlook, changing the date to 2036. As a result, all appointments are gone - Outlook does not extend that far into the future. I have cleaned up my computer, but I cannot retrieve my appointments.

There is a file... archive.pst, dated 2/3/36??? Is it possible that all my information is in this file??? How can I open it??? I keep trying, and it keeps saying... "Open with..." I've tried Word, Adobe, you name it, but nothing will open it...

I synch'd with my Zire, and it erased everything on my handheld.

What do I do???
Member with 424 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Aug-2004, 09:04 PM #2
Was going to ask whether you sync'd with anything. Is it possible your Zire was corrupted first and when you sync'd it deleted all your appointments?

I ask this because I sync with a Sony Ericsson P900 and it's set to overwrite the PC (as it is normally the device that gets updated first).

Outlook DOES run comfortably past 2036 - I know, I just ran it to 2040 to check - no problems. I hope that you have run things like Spybot, AdAware, CWShredder and appropriate AV?

The .pst file you can see will open with Outlook. This file contains all your archived meetings, appointments, deleted items and old mail items. You may strike it lucky - Click File---->Open---->Outlook Data File. The file that will have your info for current meetings etc is Outlook.pst. This file cannot be corrupt, since your contacts have not been deleted and they are contained within this file. Would it be safe to say that you did not lose any emails?

If this is the case, I suspect that what happened may be that the meets were wiped off the Zire and - being the most recently updated items - Outlook duly copied the deletions for you so that your Outlook matched your Zire.

I had this happen to me once when I carelessly updated the phone and wiped all my contacts from both sources. Luckily I had backed up my .pst and had a spare T610 which I re-synced using Bluetooth....

One more thing - if that WAS the case, check your Deleted Items - deleted meetings get moved there the same as deleted emails and contacts do...

Let me know if you have any joy.

Best,

20-Aug-2004, 09:28 AM #3
Outlook Calendar still gone...
Thanks for your help, but I'm still stuck...
-When I go to File...Open... (I have only) Personal Files.pst... (I have a choice)... arhive.pst (or) outlook.pst... Neither will open when I double click.
-There is nothing in my deleted folder
-The appointments just disappeared on my desktop. I didn't synch or delete them... I don't know what happened.
-Next, my handheld did not override my desktop, as I thought it was set up... So, I lost everything on my handheld when I synch'd it with my desktop... including my contacts... which is strange, because they are still on my desktop. I don't use the email on my Outlook, so I don't care if it's lost.
-Finally, at one point when I was digging, the archived file - that I cannot open - stated that it was last modified in 2036???
Thanks for ANY help in retrieving the data.

20-Aug-2004, 02:08 PM #4
oops... there it is...
Okay... spent some more time, and I found my old calendar... I have two sets of Archive Folders... One has a picture of a house in front of it (the empty calendar), and the other has a picture of some files (the old calendar with all of my info)... How do I copy the old into the current??? Again, thank you!!!
Member with 424 posts.

20-Aug-2004, 02:24 PM #5
Import the data into Outlook by selecting the Calendar function, then File-->Import & Export.

When prompted, open the archive.pst that contains your old details. This MAY over write your contacts if there are any differences between the old and new files. I suggest you sync the Zire with the existing outlook profile. Then DISCONNECT IT. Import the old archive file and then MERGE the two together.

Make sure you know which device is doing the overwriting. Alternatively, make a copy of your .pst files before changing things - you can find these using Search-->"*.pst" without quotes.

Best of luck,

20-Aug-2004, 03:18 PM #6
Thank you!!! It's fixed!!!
Member with 424 posts.

20-Aug-2004, 04:04 PM #7
Glad to be able to help, another satisfied customer.

If you feel that this sequence of events and website have, in general, solved all of your life worries and untold numbers of sleepless nights, please donate a few quid to the guys that make the website possible. Seriously, without them, you'd still have your problem and pay huge amounts to gain this type of knowledge elsewhere!

All the best,
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!