Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Xp Cpu 100% Svchost.exe

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Aug-2004, 09:18 PM #1
Xp Cpu 100% Svchost.exe
SVCHOST.EXE is running my windows xp to a cpu usage of 100% in windows task manager. once the process is ended, system idle process takes over at 99 cpu. please help, i have been working on scans for virus's and spyware for three days straight. Tnaks
Member with 116 posts.

26-Aug-2004, 09:52 PM #2
Do you happen to have a USB scanner attached to you PC? OR did you recently apply any XP security patches?

James
Junior Member with 13 posts.

26-Aug-2004, 09:58 PM #3
it is not my machine. so i do not know. i have tried everything. scanned everything. virus...spyware..adware. cleaned up a lot but not the problem. this is weird. svchost.exe is 100% then when ended system idle becomes 100%. I can click on everything on my desktop, but my task bar is not allowing me anything. just an hour glass
Member with 116 posts.

26-Aug-2004, 10:02 PM #4
Can you start in safe mode? Does it make any difference?

Also, what other processes are running in TM?

James
Junior Member with 15 posts.

27-Aug-2004, 09:32 AM #5
We need a Hijack This log file to be able to analyze what is happening on your computer. If you do not have a copy of Hijack This please follow the instructions in order: (if you have HJT please make certain HJT is in it's own folder and follow instructions 4 to 6)

1. Please go to you're 'My Documents' folder, right-click and select 'New > Folder' and name the folder 'Hijack This'.

2. Download Hijackthis to the new folder from this website: http:/www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

3. Double Click on 'HijackThis.zip' to extract and install HijackThis.exe to the new folder.

4. Close ALL windows except HJT

5. SCAN with HJT and SAVE LOG. (a notepad window will open with the log in it when you click Save Log) (Ctrl-A to'select all', Ctrl-C to 'copy')

6. POST the log in this thread using 'Add Reply' (Ctrl-V to 'paste')

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS SOME OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO THE FUNCTION OF YOUR COMPUTER
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!