Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Deleted files reappear!

(!)

Junior Member with 26 posts.

28-Aug-2004, 11:30 AM #1
Deleted files reappear!
I just installed sp2... everything seems to be working ok except when I try
to delete any file/folder it reappears seconds later. Strange??
Senior Member with 582 posts.

Experience: Professional Technician
29-Aug-2004, 01:37 AM #2
Hi, and welcome to the TSG forums.

I've decided to reply to you, because no one else has so far, and your post is now more than 23 hours old.

I HATE to ask you the obvious question, but have you tried UN-installing WinXP SP2? If the problem goes away, you'll know that SP2 was responsible, and you'll also know that you'd better AVOID SP2 for a couple of months, by which time M$ should have removed most of the worst bugs.

This is up to you; since no one else has reponded for almost a full day, it seems to me that no one has any OTHER suggestion, although odds are good that now that someone HAS offered you some advice, someone else will post here shortly to CONTRADICT this advice. Such is the nature of these forums.

Good luck; please let us know if removing SP2 resolved your problem, so we can advise someone else who posts here for the same reason, and thanks.

- slingshotter
Junior Member with 26 posts.

29-Aug-2004, 02:11 AM #3
I was wondering if anyone was alive here....LOL! Since I posted I ran another scan disk and the problem seems to be solved. I understand the worry about SP2... I've read the many nitemares people are having. But speaking for myself... this is the only problem I've had so far and my puter is running much smoother & faster than before.
Of course I've only had it a couple of days but so far it's great. I can tell you that it eats up alot of space... that's how I found this forum by searching for help and found the post "Slimming Down XP-SP2 Slipstreamed Installation" which was a huge help!
Thanks for your reply Slingshotter.

29-Aug-2004, 03:25 AM #4
Hi, Lancie,

I'm GLAD to know that you got this resolved. I'm not a fan of SP2 and just spent more of my SLEEP time helping a friend UNDO all of the damage SP2 caused, and didn't want to see you go through the same ordeal.

You did a great job with NO help from me. I take my Red Sox hat off to you, and you will be one of the first I call on next time I need help; will you be online tomorrow?

See you in the ether!

- slingshotter

29-Aug-2004, 03:55 AM #5
Hi again, Lancie,

Well, I was trying to imply that I would need your advice tomorrow; glad to know you'll be out there somewhere!

You know how it is; a friend called me last week and asked me to check a post here. He didn't agree with the advice someone had posted, and wanted to know what I thought about it.

When I read it, I knew it was wrong, so I became a member and started typing a reply. While I was working on THAT, the same friend called back and asked me to read a SECOND post; I stopped typing a response to the FIRST post and started typing a reply to the second one. Several hours and phone calls later, I was ready to collapse, but I've ALWAYS believed in giving back. I volunteer for the Red Cross and the Special Olympics and other things; I build computers out of donated / leftover parts and donate them to low-income families, and do other things like food drives and just about anything else anyone asks me to help with; I guess I'm going to have to apply for sainthood soon!

Anyway, here it is one week later, and I'm STILL typing!

Nice to meet you Lancie; hope to cross paths with you again in these forums.

- slingshotter
Junior Member with 0 posts.

Experience: Tech support for my buddies
24-Sep-2004, 11:53 PM #6
Windows System File Protection
aha, so it is working . . . odd

Anyhow, what files were you trying to delete? If they're related to any system or microsoft program, you're running into Windows System File Protection. (If they aren't, that may still be the source - the behavior sounds right -- possibly malfunctioning as the result of a SP2 glitch.)

I say this because I am in the process of disabling that myself so that I can change a couple things. One way to do so can be found here:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/...icle.asp?ID=290

(I realize your problem is fixed, but this came up high in the Google results for this particular problem, so others may hopefully find this useful. -- Do be careful messing with system files though!!)

PS: to whoever sent me a PM, I can't get to my PMs at the moment, sorry!

Last edited by Gwaihir; 25-Sep-2004 at 01:59 AM..
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Sep-2004, 08:57 AM #7
Just a note to Slingshotter, mods and admin can still read deleted posts
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!