Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

computer shuts down after a few minutes

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

20-Sep-2004, 10:12 AM #1
computer shuts down after a few minutes
Hi All,
My computer shuts down after a few minutes,then restarts itselfover and over again , it just started this mornin.
the puter is a compaq 2.6 gig (about a year old)
it doesnt seem to matter what program i run either
thanks
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Sep-2004, 10:23 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbugaiski
Hi All,
My computer shuts down after a few minutes,then restarts itselfover and over again , it just started this mornin.
the puter is a compaq 2.6 gig (about a year old)
it doesnt seem to matter what program i run either
thanks

If it is Windows 2000 or better, try and get a look at the EVENT VIEWER/System log. It can be found under START/SETTINGS/ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS/EVENT VIEWER.
That should tell you what happened, and why it restarted. If it was from a bugcheck, then get into your system properties/STARTUP-SHUTDOWN and make sure you tell it not to REBOOT on STOP ERROR. That way, we can get a look at what might be causing it. Thats the first step.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,524 posts.

20-Sep-2004, 10:53 AM #3
what sort of temp is the CPU is it hot / overheating

as advised

goto
control panel>
system>
advanced tab>
startup and recovery - settings>
under the title - system failure
untick - automatically restart

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320299

now when it crashes - it willnot restart and the blue screen should stay on the screen
post the info on the screen
it will give the errorcodes and a filename, if caused by a driver.

in the meantime
you may want to try running a memeory test
http://www.memtest86.com/

you may also find some info in the event viewer
control panel>
admin tools>
event viewer>
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Sep-2004, 03:14 PM #4
BSOD the Solution:
Did you install Service Pack 2? Are you now suffering from the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)?. Here is the solution. I have spent 4 days hunting down the cause of my machine crashing and have finally cracked it. Maybe other people have a different cause than mine so my solution may not work for everyone.

After installing SP2 I suffered many crashes. In particular the Screen would turn blue and display a message starting "Bad_Pool_Header". And ending with STOP: 0X000000019....

Then my four day hunt for the cause started.

BSOD Solution
Basically I found two causes of the BSOD.
Cause 1: Corrupted file or folder.
Cause 2: Microsoft Indexing Service

Possibly these two causes are linked.

Solution for Cause 1
Onen up Explore (right click the start button), and expand your directory tree, starting from the C: drive. Click on each folder in turn and see if any cause the BSOD to appear. If so, reboot, and simply attempt to copy the folder, and then delete it.

Solution for Cause No 2
Switch off Microsoft's indexing service. You can do this by clicking the start button, select "Run", then type "msconfig", then select the "Services" TAB, scroll down to the Indexing Service and Switch it off. Reboot your computer, and good luck - maybe it will work, It solved the problem for me.

At first I thought I must have a third party software or hardware conflicting with SP2, but even after I had disconnected the internet, switched off all items in the startup TAB of msconfig, was still getting the BSOD. I tried surface scans, chkdsk, scan disk etc all to no avail. I tried defragmenting the disk, but the frequent crashes may have made things worse.

I discovered the computer was now crashing after about 7.5 minutes of being switched on. It did not matter whether anyone logged in or not.

Finally I went to msconfig (Start Run, MSCONFIG) and switched off "process System.ini files, Load System files, Load Startup Items. And the comuter stopped crashing. So then I added the item back one by one until I discovered the Microsoft Corporation Indexing Service which was causing the crash. I switched it off and switched everything else back on and AT LAST... No more BSOD

Member with 129 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Sep-2004, 04:43 PM #5
Since the replies here were similar - here is a new topic. Think hardware...
Think power supply.... Think overheating.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!