Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

A Cursor and a black background, HELP!!!!

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

02-Oct-2004, 07:14 AM #1
A Cursor and a black background, HELP!!!!
Hello,
After i boot up windows XP pro a white cursor appears on a black background, and will not open the GUI, it just sits there, i can move the mouse around but thats it. This problem started yesterday when i deleted files called lsass from the registry, after believing that it was part of a recent virus that was released. When i restarted my PC after i did this, it came up with the cursor and the black screen.

Please Help.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,922 posts.

02-Oct-2004, 07:23 AM #2
\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe is a legitamate file.

Quote:
WinTasks Process Library

lsass - lsass.exe - Process Information

Process File: lsass or lsass.exe
Process Name: Local Security Authority Service

Description:
lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies, and is NOT to be confused with the lsas.exe virus.

Author: Microsoft Corp.
Part Of: Microsoft Windows Operating System

System Process: Yes
Virus: No
Spyware: No
Background Process: Yes
Uses Network: No
Hardware Related: No

Security Risk (0-5): 0
Common Errors: N/A

Want to access the Process Library from your Task Manager?
Accurate process information can be invaluable to find security threats and system hogs lurking in your computer. All the the information available at ProcessLibrary.com comes from the award winning WinTasks 5 Professional. WinTasks is the must-have utility for anyone who increase system security and performance by monitoring and managing every running process.
Now, the big problem, how to get it back...I need to work on that one for you, be right back. Liz
Member with 424 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Oct-2004, 07:49 AM #3
I would boot from the Win XP CD and repair. Are you familar with how to do this?

Best,

02-Oct-2004, 10:42 AM #4
i have been in to the recovery section of xp, to try and put it back in, when it is put back in it is the same when i start up, the problem is that it is gone from the registry, how can i put them back?
I have used the check disk commands etc. in windows recovery, is this what you mean by repair, if not can you please inform me how to do it
Member with 424 posts.

02-Oct-2004, 11:20 AM #5
Ok, a repair is different to the recovery console. What it does is replace all the Windows core files with ones from the CD. You may find that you need to reinstall software, updates and drivers but to be honest, it's a giant step ahead of where you are now.

To run a repair, you need to boot to the XP CD. When prompted, DON'T press 'R' to enter the recovery console, but select 'Install Windows XP'. DO NOT delete or change the partition information. Just choose to install windows on the partition that's already there.

The installation will then check for a previous install - which it will find - and ask whether you wish to repair that old install or do a new one. Choose to repair and don't panic when it looks like it is installing a new version - it will simply replace all the system files (including lsass.exe) and boot you into Windows. You will find all your files and users are still in tact, but you may need to reinstall updates etc etc.

Other alternative is to put the drive in another machine, save off the data and do a fresh install.

Regards,

02-Oct-2004, 06:40 PM #6
Thanks, i am just wondering will i loose the stuff on my hard drive, because that is why i am not formatting, because there are files i wish to put to disc. Will doing this mean that i will loose what is on my harddrive?
Member with 424 posts.

02-Oct-2004, 08:16 PM #7
Re-read my previous post, LIster82:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmeister
You will find all your files and users are still in tact, but you may need to reinstall updates etc etc.
If you do a REPAIR and NOT a REINSTALL your data (music, docs, pics etc) WILL ALL REMAIN THE SAME.

Regards,

03-Oct-2004, 07:25 AM #8
I have done this and it now comes up with a blue a screen before it even boots win xp, saying please remove any virus's or newly installed software......use chkdsk /f to check for harddrive corruption etc. these instuctions do not work.

What can i do now apart from formatting my harddrive which i do not want to do?
Member with 424 posts.

03-Oct-2004, 09:33 AM #9
Hmm. Sounds like you aren't booting off the CD yet - do you know how to check this in the BIOS?

First thing I would do then is download the diagnostic software for your hard drive (eg. Maxtor have PowerMax, Seagate have SeaTools and so on). Run that to ensure the integrity of the drive physically. If you can verify this, then there's no reason why you can't repair the XP installation - as I say, it sounds like your machine is still trying to boot off the hard drive, not the CD..

Regards,
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!