Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Open drvmain.sdb

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Oct-2004, 09:03 AM #1
Open drvmain.sdb
I have tried to update to service pack 3 on my OS Windows XP professional at least 8 times. I am receiving an error message which states that a file is open and that I should close all applications ect. I have nothing running that I can see.

The error says that "C:\windows\apppatch\drvmain.sdb is open or application is running. (how do I fix this?)

I have tried to delete and replace the file with another copy located in an other subdriectory. When I double click on the problem file I get message that I can't open it. However, when I click on the copy in another folder I get a different message. When I try to delete or copy it the message is sdb files can not be copied or deleted.

It seems that I must have something going wrong. I do notice when my computer is idle, it isn't. The harddrive goes crazy and when I check the preformace area in the task manager it shows high usage.

Do I have a bug...?

I sure would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

I'am running and keeping updated Norton Internet version.

Last edited by Steelelement; 02-Oct-2004 at 09:08 AM..
Senior Member with 2,735 posts.

Experience: More 'n More Learnin'
02-Oct-2004, 03:05 PM #2
You Mean Service Pack 2 SP2 ? http://support.microsoft.com/default...t=windowsxpsp2 This is a list of SP2 and conflicting programs .

Go Here http://support.microsoft.com/default...psp2getinstall Go here and follow directions to the letter

02-Oct-2004, 03:12 PM #3
I unistalled my SP1, before i updated to SP2.Sounds crazy but worked.

I found this one persons solution . It may be worth trying . Let us know if you do try it and the results please.
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

02-Oct-2004, 03:32 PM #4
These databases are part of the tools with which SP2 thoughtfully (sorry DustSailor but thought did go into this SP) to warn you of compatibility problems you MAY encounter if you proceed with the installation of the update.

I suggest that if DustSailor's suggested link doesn't give the information you need, go to Microsoft's site and search for drvmani.sdb.

02-Oct-2004, 04:20 PM #5
I agree Saga Lout I'm not against SP2 just taking middle ground here . A lot of effort has gone into making SP2 a good addition to the computing world. Still many having different problems though

My other posting needed some punctuation I guess . I do not have SP2 installed .

" I uninstalled my SP1 before I updated to SP2.Sounds crazy but it works ."

That is a quote copied and pasted from another forum Just something that worked for someone .

I recieved my SP2 CD in the mail today There is a small red sticker on the front that says in part BEFORE installing SP2 go to ---- Wonder how many actually read this .
Junior Member with 2 posts.

03-Oct-2004, 06:54 AM #6
Thanks to you both for the feedback. Now you have me wondering if I should update to SP2 at all. I am on my way to the microsoft site and will let you know if I have any success.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Steelelement; 03-Oct-2004 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: re read
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

Experience: tech for home/HO PCs
02-Jul-2008, 05:25 AM #7
WinXP SP3 install error msg drvmain.sdb
I came across the same error msg in trying to update WinXP SP2 with the SP3 from MS Update. Tried some stuff from the Windows KB but that wasn't helpful. One forum (not here) indicated the person was able to do it in Safe mode, but you can't use MS Update in Safe mode and I wasn't about to download the 559 Mb .iso file from MS to create a CD for just 1 PC. Another forum indicated the person renamed drvmain.sdb, installed SP3, and the named it back to the original. The problem is that Windows will quickly create another drvmain.sdb soon after you delete or rename it.

Here's what worked for me.
Turn off antivirus. I use Avast 4.8 Pro on that PC.
Start, Run, 'cmd' to open a command-line box. Change directories to where the drvmain.sdb lives, typically cd c:\Windows\AppPatch . This is case sensitive.

rename drvmain.sdb drvmain.bak
wait a few seconds while Windows recreates drvmain.sdb
copy con drvmain.sdb
answer Yes to overwriting the file
type a few characters of text
<F6>
<enter>
This writes a dummy drvmain.sdb over the recreated one.

dir
should show files including drvmain.bak which was the original size of drvmain.sdb, and a drvmain.sdb of only a few kb.

Open IE and go through the usual MS Update process. The progress bars and descriptions of the update process are out of synch with what is happening, so don't worry if the PC seems to stop for short periods. Hopefully it will eventually indicate that SP3 is installed. Do not Restart. Use the Restart Later option.

Go back to the command line box and same directory.
del drvmain.sdb and then type very quickly
rename drvmain.bak drvmain.sdb
exit

The command line box will close. Now you can restart Windows.

Whole process took a bit more than 1 hr on a 1.6 GHz Dell and DSL.

--
I don't have enough info to guess why your PC goes through paroxysms of high activity. I've run that problem down to malware, print job stuck in the queue of a non-connected printer, and CA anti virus/spyware/firewall on different occasions.

I have also had customers with bad experiences using Norton Internet Security, esp. in the 2004-2006 versions. It would misbehave by locking stuff down excessively tightly, then wouldn't uninstall correctly requiring ugly manual tearouts in the Registry and directory. Norton AV by itself had some bad versions too, but recent onces seems to behave.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!