Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

While typing, text/cursor jumps around??

(!)

Member with 163 posts.

03-Oct-2004, 10:14 PM #1
While typing, text/cursor jumps around??
Hi..

I've been having this problem a lot over the past year or so where I might be typing a sentence (and I think this only happens when posting at message boards) and sometimes in the middle of a word the cursor will suddenly jump to another place in the paragraph. As an example, it happened just now. When I was typing the word "sentence" above, in the middle of typing the word, the cursor jumped up to the title and the "ten" part of the word got mixed in with the word "typing" in the thread title. Sounds more complicated than it is, just wanted to give that as an example...and oh, it just happened again haha, while I was typing "give." I'm not sure if this happens to me in Word too, but I don't think so. Anyone have an idea why the cursor would just randomly and suddenly jump to another point in the text?

thanks
Junior Member with 19 posts.

03-Oct-2004, 10:17 PM #2
do you have a laptop? I've found that while I type on a laptop my arm, or sometimes my hand will accidently touch the touchpad and send the cursor to another location.
Member with 163 posts.

04-Oct-2004, 10:56 PM #3
interesting...I have a laptop, a Dell, which has one of the standard "touch" mouses, and if you tap it twice, it will act like a regular left-click on a mouse. that is a possibility why that's happening, although I'm not too sure...I think it is something else, but I'll keep an eye out for if I'm doing that or not but thanks for the tip. Anyone else with an idea?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Dec-2006, 04:56 PM #4
text jumping around
this is happening to me as well. It jumps everywhere. Have you heard anymore on what this might be?
Computer Specs

Experience: Intermediate
30-Dec-2006, 08:46 PM #5
Cursor jumps while typing
This is a new problem for me on one of my laptops. It definitely seems like a bug to me. The only change that I believe may have brought this problem on was an upgrade from MSN Messenger to the newest version, now called WIndows Live messenger. The upgrade caused several problems for me, and I eventually had to de-install it. Shortly after installing, Messenger had several problems, including connecting (the buddies icon just kept spinning until I crashed out. Then I got an error message 81000395).

When the factory installed version of windows Messenger began exhibiting similar problems, I researched online. I ended up de-installing MSN and reloading an older version (7.0). Since doing that, the logon problem has disappeared for the most part. I do however, get kicked off regularly when running Windows Messenger.

The cursor jumping began during this time and has continued to be a problem. It happens in any text--based application--- Word, MSN messenger, email.

It would be interesting to know what versions, if any, of MSN Messenger you are running.
Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Yes
30-Dec-2006, 09:26 PM #6
I had that problem on my wife's laptop and went to mouse properties and turned the sensitivity on the touchpad down all the way and it stopped. I guess any slight vibration made it jump.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Dec-2006, 09:53 PM #7
If yo think it is the keyboard on the laptop try an external keyboard on the laptop.
Computer Specs

Experience: Intermediate
30-Dec-2006, 09:53 PM #8
Cursor jumps while typing
Billy,

I'm sure there are many root causes for this symptom. For those who have NOT resolved their problem, I am asking about MSN Messenger. In my case, it was working fine for several years. No other changes were made to the computer other than the upgrade of messenger.
Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Yes
30-Dec-2006, 09:59 PM #9
Slowhand, I have the new version of messenger and after installing it I had no changes. I'm by no means an expert on Messenger, so maybe someone that is might know if there is an issue with it. My reply was to the original post by berndawg84 about his cursor jumping around.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!