Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP USB Printer not Recognized

(!)

Member with 8,537 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
13-Oct-2004, 11:47 PM #1
HP USB Printer not Recognized
This is a problem unique to certain HP printer models. It affects no other brands I know of and only certain models of the HP brand.

If HP USB printers are connected to the USB port while the OS is being loaded, or if one connects the printer to the USB port before loading the printer driver, the printer will then fail to be recognized regardless of any effort on the part of the user.

There is a fix for this that requires a registry edit; I know this because I did that registry edit a few years ago with help from HP's telephone tech support.

Does anyone here know what that registry edit is or where I might find information on it? I have searched the HP site and cannot find anything on it there.

Windows 2000 and HP Photosmart p1000
Member with 8,537 posts.

17-Oct-2004, 12:55 PM #2
I found the solution.

Here it is.

If you own one of certain HP priinters, scanners or cameras that suffer from this malady, you may go through the seventh level of hell correcting the problem without certain very obscure and detailed instructions.

The last time I did this little job was about 4 years ago and it cost the owner $35 from HP's tech support and two hours of time. At the time, HP had no web page explaining how to correct the problem and even today, a page does exist; but, it isn't identified in a way that any average person would understand what it is for.

The moral of the story is:
  • Never, never, never connect any HP brand device, be it printer, scanner, camera or whatever, to a USB port before its driver is loaded.
  • Always, always disconnect any HP USB device from the USB port before making a clean reload of the OS (like after wiping out the current Windows).
Not all HP devices suffer from this problem; but, its solution can be so difficult that it should be a common habit to leave them disconnected in the above circumstances.

To be clear, connecting the device at the wrong time takes less than one second to do the damage.

Below is a list of HP devices that may or may not have this problem; also it may not be a complete list:

Cameras:
  • 215 digital camera
    120 digital camera
    C500 digital camera
    315 digital camera
    318 digital camera
    320 digital camera
    430 Series digital camera
    612 digital camera
    618 digital camera
    620 digital camera
    635 digital camera
    715 digital camera
    720 digital camera
    733 digital camera
    735 digital camera
    812 digital camera
    850 digital camera
    912 digital camera
    935 digital camera
    945 digital camera
Printers:
  • P1000 printer
    P1100 printer
    100 printer
    130 printer
    230 printer
    1115 printer
    1215 printer
    1218 printer
    1315 printer
    7150 printer
    7350 printer
    7550 printer
    7260 printer
    7660 printer
    7760 printer
    7960 printer
Scanners:
  • S20 photo scanner
    1000 scanner
Member with 216 posts.

17-Oct-2004, 02:34 PM #3
When installing HP photosmart printer there should be a button to "Remove HP photosmart printer series soft ware". Click this button before installing. If you do not, it might not let you install. This should get rid of the registry keys. Do not plug in printer power and USB cords until it tells you to do it.
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Oct-2004, 03:50 PM #4
Did you happen to leave this thing plugged in when you installed SP4?

If so, it may be easier to uninstall the pack then uninstall the printer software, put the pack back on and reinstall the printer without putting the USB lead in until prompted.
Senior Member with 2,983 posts.

17-Oct-2004, 06:16 PM #5
I have exactly the same problem with my Packard Bell scanner. For weeks every time I closed down and then re-booted the scanner was missing. I don't exactly know how it got recognised but eventually it did.
On Friday I had to disconnect everything for a small repair job and now it's back to the old ways. I wonder if the "fix" would apply to my scanner as well.
I'll have a look anyway.
Member with 8,537 posts.

18-Oct-2004, 12:28 PM #6
wahlroot,

No Kidding.

Saga Lout,

If the instructions I referenced work for your device (it is in the list of devices) I think this solution is easier--if you can follow the instructions well.

boyoh53,

It may or may not work; but, for sure the PID idendifier is different for all devices.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!