Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Desktop Icons flashing

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: PC Retailer and Service Tech
17-Oct-2004, 12:57 PM #1
Desktop Icons flashing
In the last two days i have seen three systems with the desktop icons flashing on and off. You are unable to do anything because the whole screen disapears and when it returns the task you attempted to start has stopped. I have tried in Safe mode as well. Using windows XP restore wont work either. Is the a virus? I am a computer tech and have never experienced this before. The only solution i have found is to reinstall Xp Pro. Also of the three system, all stated that they had just finished an update. One was with Norton System works 2004 and one with MS update. The other was unsure. All have Service Pack 2 as well. The third machine has a variant of the above problems in so much as it will not allow you to activate any system command. ie. Restore, control panel, my computer etc. It is a slow system and hence the flashing is not as quick yet in safe mode it appears to be the same problem. Please help.

Cajun
Junior Member with 1 posts.

17-Oct-2004, 03:29 PM #2
I have the same problem on my desktop. I just got yesterday, and im trying to figure out how to get rid of it without reinstalling windows. it didnt start doing it until i installed an update for xp. Please help!
Member with 390 posts.

Experience: Intermediate to Advanced
17-Oct-2004, 03:46 PM #3
Take a look at the thread "after windows update, taskbare [sic] gone". Sounds like the same thing, perhaps. I rebuilt my profile, and all is well with my system now - but I'm running Windows 2000Pro.
Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: intermediate/advanced
17-Oct-2004, 04:11 PM #4
the icons are disappearing because the explorer.exe process is being terminated and windows is automatically restarting the process wich means will just go on forever. the only way i found to stop it is to terminate the process yourself in taskmanager before it can do it itself. but this doesnt help at all because you still wont be able to start any program such as system restrore. the only exe i could run was cmd.exe and that was only useful wen i acciedentaly terminated svchost.exe and computer tried to shutdown. also it happened for me straight after a windows update was installed? do you know which update caused this? as mine was done automatically didnt see.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!